What's new

Express Conveyor coming to town

lb60605

Reaction score
I have two automatic wash bays friction and touchless. Just found out an Express conveyor wash is coming into my market 1/2 mile from my car wash location.
I know it will have an impact on my business when they first open, I am trying to be proactive before they open in 10 months. I have started to D-Bug cars
on weekends and is looking to offer a free vacuum service. I have Vortex vacuums and are considering turning them into a free vacuum. Any suggestions and
how would I convert the pay vacuums to a free vacuum?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Ain't gonna lie- it's gonna hurt. SS seems to me more resilient but the autos close by seem to take a pretty big hit. Obviously, time to freshen up things and make sure your autos are operating at peak performance. My istobal does as good or better job than a tunnel, hopefully your cloth unit is a thorough washer. The touch free will still have it's niche customers who don't like friction.

I managed a car wash using this dispenser and it works pretty good. I like it because the token comes out of the same cup as the change which reduces confusion and speeds things up a little:

I would also add a self prep station if you have room.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
How about adding things that don't require more labor? Prepping is a bad idea, IMO, because you can't do it during all open hours. And the minute you don't , the perceived value of you wash is lower. Like GP said, add a self-prep station instead.

I wouldn't change your basic business model, I would enhance it with better soap, more soap, tweak your autos for better wash quality. Add ceramic coat and / or hot wax. I wouldn't give vacs away. You're going to need the revenue.

Add an app-based payment method like Touch4Wash. Look at all the features you get and the hardware is only $500.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
Either prep every car every day, or don't prep at all. Prepping just on weekends will devalue your service for any customers that then come to wash on a weekday. Adding prepping is not recommended because once you start, you can't stop. Ask me how I know....

soapy

Reaction score
I have always offered self prep stations with good results and free drying towels. YOu could add token vendors to your IBA packages.

soonermajic

Reaction score
If u do a Prep service, pay your help minimum wage + $1/car + tips, & highlight tips are part of our $alary.
Keep great soaps/waxes, make sure vacs can suck a golfball through a garden hose.!

soapy

Reaction score
My town of 60,000 has 7 operating express tunnels, 2 that are built still waiting for equipment and I just saw they are breaking ground for another express. I know only one of them can be paying the mortgage and not sure about any profit. The other must be tax right offs.

Kramerwv

Reaction score
My town of 60,000 has 7 operating express tunnels, 2 that are built still waiting for equipment and I just saw they are breaking ground for another express. I know only one of them can be paying the mortgage and not sure about any profit. The other must be tax right offs.
Good grief - nobody makes $$ in that scenario until someone folds.