What's new

Expense of high resolution Security Cameras

Good Moody

Reaction score
I'm curious, as always dealing with people dumping garbage and driving on the lawns of my self serve wash property. Have any of you filed legal charges against these people unfortunate behaviors, The local police said I need license plate numbers to begin the legal process which means I need many high resolution security cameras, Is it worth the expense, latest quote near $8K to install a nice system covering the entire property inside and out.
Im definitely going to upgrade the existing camera system just wondering if to spend the money Ill actually be able to hold people accountable?
What's your thoughts?
Thanks!

Blanco

Reaction score
Holding people accountable for driving on your lawn or dumping garbage is not going to pay for your camera system. It also won't pay for it self if you catch someone committing a petty crime on your property. All car wash criminals are not the smartest or well off obviously. Even if the law gets involved you can't collect from someone who does not have anything. However, If something major happens and you have to make a insurance claim then the video will be proof to your insurance company and will help them go after that party to refund you your deductible. 8K is a lot. You can get a good lorex 32ch system for 3k. Run the lines and mount the camera. its not difficult.

Good Moody

Reaction score
Holding people accountable for driving on your lawn or dumping garbage is not going to pay for your camera system. It also won't pay for it self if you catch someone committing a petty crime on your property. All car wash criminals are not the smartest or well off obviously. Even if the law gets involved you can't collect from someone who does not have anything. However, If something major happens and you have to make a insurance claim then the video will be proof to your insurance company and will help them go after that party to refund you your deductible. 8K is a lot. You can get a good lorex 32ch system for 3k. Run the lines and mount the camera. its not difficult.
Thank you Blanco, who do you buy cameras from, I attempted to receive a proposal from Lorex and of course the salesperson was a joke to deal with so I went a different direction.

HeyVern

Reaction score
there was a link posted last week to the Univision license plate reader. It's not cheap but, I'm going to try one and see how it works. I can't remember what thread it is in now though.

Sound_Boi

Reaction score
there was a link posted last week to the Univision license plate reader. It's not cheap but, I'm going to try one and see how it works. I can't remember what thread it is in now though.

Randy

Reaction score
We use 1080P cameras and don’t have any problems with getting a plate number. Night time is when it’s hard to get a plate because of the reflective coating on the license plates. The problem is once you get a plate number is getting the police to do anything. I had the police at the car wash on Saturday for an illegal dumping. The best he could get her for was littering. He called me later and said he couldn’t do anything because the truck she was driving when she dumped her stuff at the car wash was registered to a guy and not a woman. We know the police aren’t going to do anything but we still keep calling the police. Last year we had them out 19 times. Self-serve car washes are a magnet for the trash of society and those who think they can do whatever they want knowing there is little to no chance of anything happening to them. If they do get caught they might get slapped on the hands and let go.

Blanco

Reaction score
Thank you Blanco, who do you buy cameras from, I attempted to receive a proposal from Lorex and of course the salesperson was a joke to deal with so I went a different direction.
No problem. I buy straight from lorex. This is the system I use for each wash.

32 cameras per wash. Only ones i ever have go bad/blurry are in my automatic bays which is acceptable due to the amount of water being thrown around constantly. If you are in no rush wait for black friday. They knock a thousand off.

OurTown

Reaction score

32 cameras per wash. Only ones i ever have go bad/blurry are in my automatic bays which is acceptable due to the amount of water being thrown around constantly. If you are in no rush wait for black friday. They knock a thousand off.
How long can you record continuously at the highest resolution on that 8TB drive? I'm assuming you are using all 32 cameras and didn't upgrade to a larger drive setup.

Blanco

Reaction score
How long can you record continuously at the highest resolution on that 8TB drive? I'm assuming you are using all 32 cameras and didn't upgrade to a larger drive setup.
Yes using all 32 cameras and did not upgrade hard drive. Did not know that was an option until you just mentioned. 5 days though to answer your question.

Eric H

Reaction score
I have the Lorex system and one Hikvision system that my security company installed. The Hiksystem was more expensive but doesn’t have any more features that would justify the added cost except for a huge hard drive that records 14 cameras for about 30 days.
My neighbor has a WatchDog system that his security company installed. It looks great and has some more features. One thing he showed me is he can count cars passing through any camera. He is using his system to count cars at the Carwash because he is probably buying that location in the next 6 months.
I’ll try to add a video from my Lorex system…and yes, the guy with the gun went to prison. Edit: I should add that I have a 4K system but a 1080 monitor. The video was recorded off of the monitor using my IPhone. The actual resolution is much better than seen here
View attachment IMG_0250.mov

Good Moody

Reaction score
I have the Lorex system and one Hikvision system that my security company installed. The Hiksystem was more expensive but doesn’t have any more features that would justify the added cost except for a huge hard drive that records 14 cameras for about 30 days.
My neighbor has a WatchDog system that his security company installed. It looks great and has some more features. One thing he showed me is he can count cars passing through any camera. He is using his system to count cars at the Carwash because he is probably buying that location in the next 6 months.
I’ll try to add a video from my Lorex system…and yes, the guy with the gun went to prison. Edit: I should add that I have a 4K system but a 1080 monitor. The video was recorded off of the monitor using my IPhone. The actual resolution is much better than seen here
View attachment 9053
Thanks Eric,
Ive decided to purchase a Lorex 4K system.
Eric

Good Moody

Reaction score

Thank you!
Im going to go this route,
:)

Good Moody

Reaction score
We use 1080P cameras and don’t have any problems with getting a plate number. Night time is when it’s hard to get a plate because of the reflective coating on the license plates. The problem is once you get a plate number is getting the police to do anything. I had the police at the car wash on Saturday for an illegal dumping. The best he could get her for was littering. He called me later and said he couldn’t do anything because the truck she was driving when she dumped her stuff at the car wash was registered to a guy and not a woman. We know the police aren’t going to do anything but we still keep calling the police. Last year we had them out 19 times. Self-serve car washes are a magnet for the trash of society and those who think they can do whatever they want knowing there is little to no chance of anything happening to them. If they do get caught they might get slapped on the hands and let go.
Yes, It sucks! Im considering either reducing the size of cans to the very small ones mounted on a pole, Reducing the quantity of what I have now, or, possibly removing all of them and being done with it. Its too bad.

Good Moody

Reaction score

Do you recall the length of the cables that they provide in the package? Its not listed, I just emailed them asking hopefully they'll reply.

Blanco

Reaction score
Do you recall the length of the cables that they provide in the package? Its not listed, I just emailed them asking hopefully they'll reply.
100ft cables come with it. I did not use their cables with mine. I bought boxes of cat 5e and crimped my ends on.

designflaw

Reaction score
I am using some Wyze camera's. They look something like this,

I got them refurbished @ the price of about 70 for 4. I got some mounting bracket and mounts which set me back about another 50. I am just cloud storage but will get some sd cards to record 24/7 footage.

Good Moody

Reaction score
100ft cables come with it. I did not use their cables with mine. I bought boxes of cat 5e and crimped my ends on.
Blanco, How good are the instructions for programming/setting up the system for I never got a response from them regarding the cable info I requested.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
I am using some Wyze camera's. They look something like this,

I got them refurbished @ the price of about 70 for 4. I got some mounting bracket and mounts which set me back about another 50. I am just cloud storage but will get some sd cards to record 24/7 footage.
SD cards for the Wyze 3.0 are worth it for more "fail safe" continuous every frame recording. The downside is the labor of setting up a ladder often needed to swap & then put the SD in a reader on a computer! Having had to deal with camera light issues since 1982 ... I marvel at how good the W 3.0 high res version handles night vision & 128K capacity on SD card.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
The problem is once you get a plate number is getting the police to do anything.
That is why "We the People" have to be vigilant when it comes even the lesser political appointments-elected such as city attorneys & municipal judges etc.! Not to mention ... paying attention to ... even the proven flawed "election process" in some areas of the USA.

designflaw

Reaction score
SD cards for the Wyze 3.0 are worth it for more "fail safe" continuous every frame recording. The downside is the labor of setting up a ladder often needed to swap & then put the SD in a reader on a computer! Having had to deal with camera light issues since 1982 ... I marvel at how good the W 3.0 high res version handles night vision & 128K capacity on SD card.
How big are your microSD cards and how many hours of footage do you get? Per online reviews, the videos are stored at 1 minute intervals but there are software's that will combine them. How r u handling that?