What's new

Excessive moisture in compressor oil.

Scrub Free

Reaction score
This compressor is new to me. From day one I have noticed the oil changes to white and is contaminated with moisture. I have flushed the oil multiple times. I have tried different oil types, the moisture returns within a day. Has Any one had this issue? Any ideas on how to prevent it? Thanks

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
Do you have a automatic dump/drain valve at the bottom of the tank. I have one on my 2 stage and have it purging every 20mins for 5 seconds it helped a lot but I still have moisture in the site glass also but no where as bad.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
A Google/Bing search "Moisture in compressor crankcase" provides several insights to your issue.

MEP001

Reaction score
The only way moisture can get into the compressor's oil is from the air it pulls in. No matter how humid it is though, it shouldn't get cloudy in a day. It must have some serious piston blow-by which needs to be fixed.

Etowah

Scrub Free

Reaction score
I use an automatic blow off valve I thinks it's set every 20 minuts. It was used on my other compressor so I assume its enough. I don't get any water when I run air tools either so I'm assuming it's coming in through the intakes also. I will check further on line, I thought it may be a popular car wash issue.

MEP001

Reaction score
Moisture in the tank will have no effect on moisture in the pump.

Is the compressor rated for continuous duty? If it is, the next time the oil gets cloudy open a valve or disconnect a line somewhere so it will run non-stop for an hour and see if the oil clears up. I used to have to run the backup compressor every few months to keep the oil clear, otherwise it would look cloudy from sitting and picking up moisture from the air.

You might need to pipe air in from outside if your equipment room is really humid.

JustClean

Reaction score
I had water in the oil for years. I changed the oil every 3 months and still white. Then I moved the compressor from the cold concrete floor up onto the mezzanine floor. The water was gone. I do an oil change now every year.