What's new

Evolution Hopper Issue

eabrillon1978

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm using a Evolution Hopper from Suzo-Happ model #EV100-001B. Running into an odd issue that seems to happen every year or so. This is in an American Changer with the dual rear load setup and this only happens to the hopper that gets used the most. Fairly busy carwash, but I'm not sure what exactly is wearing down to cause this issue.

The hopper slows down dispensing quarters, so I usually take the cover off and clean it all out with air, wipe down the brass contact plates, etc..assemble it back together and it seems to work fine again for a day or two. It will start to slow down again, I'll take it apart and do the same, and it works fine again.

At first I thought it was one of the wires shorting out on the board, but I'm pretty sure it's not that. I ordered a new red belt for it and it did the same things, works great for a couple days and then same issue happens again.

Do you think it's the motor going or anyone have any idea what the issue could be? I used to use a Money Controls Mark IV hopper and those lasted for a few years without issue. Trying to see if anyone else has experienced the same issue to cut down on the troubleshooting.

- Eugene

BBE

Reaction score
not trying to hijack your thread, but does anyone know how to bypass the low coin sensor on that model hopper? I also have a couple of the money controls mark iv models, and those had the wires on the outside of the brass sensor plates that you could jump all on the bottom sensor and it would bypass the low coin errors. But on the evolution suzo happ models that doesn't appear to be an option anymore.

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but there is no fixing your problem. The evolution hoppers bind up and the chain stalls out. Turn it over and push the chain a little, and it will go again for a little bit. The hopper design is also more susceptible to bridging. Every single one I have put in all have the same problem. American Changer suggested I talk to Suzo-Happ (manufacturer) and they had absolutely no insight. The problem happens more on newer units and actually gets a little better as things 'wear in', but the old Money Controls hoppers and the green American ones were definitely good. The Suzo-Happ yellow ones.... Junk.

eabrillon1978

Reaction score
I hate to tell you this, but there is no fixing your problem. The evolution hoppers bind up and the chain stalls out. Turn it over and push the chain a little, and it will go again for a little bit. The hopper design is also more susceptible to bridging. Every single one I have put in all have the same problem. American Changer suggested I talk to Suzo-Happ (manufacturer) and they had absolutely no insight. The problem happens more on newer units and actually gets a little better as things 'wear in', but the old Money Controls hoppers and the green American ones were definitely good. The Suzo-Happ yellow ones.... Junk.
Appreciate the reply, that was actually more help to me than you think. I had a feeling these hoppers were junk.

Kevin James

Reaction score
Years ago we bought as number of car washes that had American changers installed. It didn’t take long before we found out what a piece of crap they are, constant problems, American customer service sucks. It didn’t take long to realize how much money we were losing by not having working bill changers so the decision was made to replace all the American changers. We pulled all of them out tossed them into the dumpster and replaced them with Hamilton changers with a Mars validator. Very seldom do we ever have any problems with the Hamilton changers. I other words you get what you pay for.

bert79

Reaction score
not trying to hijack your thread, but does anyone know how to bypass the low coin sensor on that model hopper? I also have a couple of the money controls mark iv models, and those had the wires on the outside of the brass sensor plates that you could jump all on the bottom sensor and it would bypass the low coin errors. But on the evolution suzo happ models that doesn't appear to be an option anymore.
So I’m going to revive this thread because I want to know if anyone has solved this problem. We too have the Suzo Happ Evo hoppers and are having the “hopper low” problem. We have them in American Rear load changers. I’m curious if anyone found a way to bypass the sensor plates at the bottom of the hopper? Also if anyone knows of a way to connect these machines to the wifi at the wash in order to maybe be able to see when they are down remotely?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Also if anyone knows of a way to connect these machines to the wifi at the wash in order to maybe be able to see when they are down remotely?
I saw where someone just put a security camera with IR illuminators inside the hopper. They could see the coin level and the validator blinking if it went out of service. You could probably do that with a $25 wyze camera.

bert79

Reaction score
I saw where someone just put a security camera with IR illuminators inside the hopper. They could see the coin level and the validator blinking if it went out of service. You could probably do that with a $25 wyze camera.
Thank you Greg, that is a good idea. I will probably do that. Would be nice if these had some wifi connectivity, but your idea should solve the problem.

OurTown

Reaction score
Can the green American hoppers be put in the place of these?

bert79

Reaction score
Can the green American hoppers be put in the place of these?
Honestly Ourtown I am not sure. The green hoppers look like they should fit but I dont know for sure. Do you know about the green hoppers? How are they different than the yellow evos?

OurTown

Reaction score
Honestly Ourtown I am not sure. The green hoppers look like they should fit but I dont know for sure. Do you know about the green hoppers? How are they different than the yellow evos?

I don't know if they can be swapped. Sometimes I ask these questions so the real experts can comment on them. One thing I can say is that I have an entire 2014 AC2221 that has those green hoppers I can sell you.

OurTown

Reaction score
It looks like they are a little different and maybe they don't make the green ones anymore?

bert79

Reaction score
I don't know if they can be swapped. Sometimes I ask these questions so the real experts can comment on them. One thing I can say is that I have an entire 2014 AC2221 that has those green hoppers I can sell you.
I thought that’s maybe what you were doing. I am so impressed by the knowledge of those on the forum. I am frequently surprised by depth of experience with all things car wash. Hopefully someone who knows these things can chime in. Why are you trying to sell ur ac2221? I may be interested in the hoppers deoending in the feedback on here and some further research. I am fairly happy with the hoppers overall, although i was a little scared by what i read on here after we ordered the machines. the only problem we have had is the low hopper plates at the bottom seem to get dirty frequently and need to be cleaned.

OurTown

Reaction score
Why are you trying to sell ur ac2221?
I got it with a bunch of other equipment because the guy would not separate. It has the Mars validators and low count on the displays.

bert79

Reaction score
So I posed this question to the American changer help group on Facebook. Doug Bale was very quick in responding. He suggested that a fix for the problem was to jump the low hopper plates from the outside of the hopper (as was suggested before). I asked for a picture of what this looks like and he sent this: 187F7E69-83DA-46F0-94D7-33D385975224.jpeg
Hopefully this will help others too

Randy

Reaction score
Those Green and Yellow Hoppers are kind of like a Bic lighter, when they don't work anymore toss it and buy a new one. By the time you pay shipping, parts and labor your up to over half the cost of a new Hopper. I have a customer who replaces his Mars validators and has his Hamilton Hoppers completely rebuilt every 2 1/2 years.

American-Changer

Reaction score
Those Green and Yellow Hoppers are kind of like a Bic lighter, when they don't work anymore toss it and buy a new one. By the time you pay shipping, parts and labor your up to over half the cost of a new Hopper. I have a customer who replaces his Mars validators and has his Hamilton Hoppers completely rebuilt every 2 1/2 years.
Indeed, my flat rate is the same as American's, 90.00, and I sell a dozen new hoppers at 240.00 ea weekly. Go figure.