What's new

Ever change a belt in a DS5000?

dogwasher

Reaction score
I purchased new belts for my DS5000 automatics, my attendant calls me today and says its going to be a complete pain in the rear to change them...is this true?

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, the lower belts aren't too bad, but the upper ones require the drive wheels removed. Better to use the link belt stuff - it lasts much longer and you just need a pair of pliers. In fact I don't think I ever had to replace the link belt because it's not affected by oil or water, which is what breaks down the black rubber belts.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
I wouldn't even bother with the regular belts....I would return them and buy a box of the link belt. Make sure to get the correct size for your pulleys. The top ones are so much trouble, when we had to change one before we would put a second one on the upper and fold it together and place it to the side so it was there when the just installed one broke (which it will at some point in the future)

dogwasher

Reaction score
Yes, the lower belts aren't too bad, but the upper ones require the drive wheels removed. Better to use the link belt stuff - it lasts much longer and you just need a pair of pliers. In fact I don't think I ever had to replace the link belt because it's not affected by oil or water, which is what breaks down the black rubber belts.
MEP I see the original belt is a B-belt. Did you use the regular A- size link belt ...I just noticed they do have link belt in a B size.

MEP001

Reaction score
I used the B-width link belt.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Ok I got a box of the link belt. It's like a porcupine...I'm guessing it will soften up after a bit? I will give it a try thanks for your help!

bhoag

Reaction score
Ds 5000

There is a kit available through D&S that replaces the side pulleys with a Mosmatic swivel that is self driven. Very clean and easy