What's new

evaporation allowance

cherokee235

Reaction score
Does anyone know if anybody has challenged a sewer charge evaporation allowance in court and won? I think a few have negotiated privately and received some relief, but I'm looking for a court case.

Our city is preparing to change its water/sewer rates and charge 100% for every gallon used as if it had gone down the sewer. This will charge all the irrigators for sewage for watering their yards. For several 100 ratepayers this could amount to over $500 per month each. This has never been done before. This will become a charge with no services rendered.

I just wondered if a court would deem this an "unconstitutional taking".

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Does anyone know if anybody has challenged a sewer charge evaporation allowance in court and won? I think a few have negotiated privately and received some relief, but I'm looking for a court case.

Our city is preparing to change its water/sewer rates and charge 100% for every gallon used as if it had gone down the sewer. This will charge all the irrigators for sewage for watering their yards. For several 100 ratepayers this could amount to over $500 per month each. This has never been done before. This will become a charge with no services rendered.

I just wondered if a court would deem this an "unconstitutional taking".
I don't think you have a chance. Politicians can define a cow as a pig if that is what they want to tax. All you can do is call them on their BS and say call it what it is, a water tax which has no rational connection to sewer useage since it fails to account for all water supplied that does not go to the sewer.

Etowah