What's new

Etowah Valley Rowe Changer Conversion Question

washme1

Reaction score
I had a customer tell me they inserted a $10 bill (3am), got no change. He says that a few minutes later, his buddy, against his advice put in a $5 bill to get vending items and it worked. Has been working ever since.

I refused a refund. I'm 99% sure my changer balanced. I qualify that because my most recent deposit was long the same amount my audit was short. I've never seen this type of changer continue to operate after not dispensing coins when bill was accepted and stacked. The customer was blocking my surveillance of the bill slot with his shoulder which is unusual. The customer was persistent and now I'm wondering if there is any way what he says could happen.

Anyone ever have this conversion continue to operate after not dispensing any coins for a previous bill?

slash007

Reaction score
Did you check the changer to see if there was a $10 bill followed by a $5 bill? Over the past two years I have had 4 people tell me that it took their $10 and all 4 were lying. On two occasions there wasn't even a $10 bill in the changer so that was easy to figure out and on the other two occasion after watching the camera they didn't even put money in the changer at all! I saw one guy walk up and right away call me and say it took his money. Even after telling him that I watched the tape and he never put money in, he was still persistent. It's amazing what people will do to get some free $. I am also using a conversion on my changers. If there is a problem, the machine will shut down until you reset it and not take the next bill.

Randy

Reaction score
It can happen, not very often but it can. That’s why we count coins going in and currency coming out of the changer. About once a month we empty the Hoppers and count them to make sure they are right on. Very seldom do I get a call that the changer has stolen someone money. When I do I count the currency, subtract the totals from the Hopper counter, if it’s over, I send them whatever they lost. Very seldom it’s over.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've seen it happen. If the bill is not accepted and too ragged to get rejected, it can cycle it until it ends up in the stacker and all the sensors read clear, then the next bill will drop in with it.

As far as refunding such a claim, that's why comparing the counts against the bills is important. If anyone calls or approaches me for a refund, I take their name and address and check the counts before deciding anything.

Stuart

Reaction score
Ido not have a conversion on my rowes but I have had a situation where a $5 bill was inserted after a one$ bill. The coins for the five were not dispensed however the hoppers started up and filled the $1 escrow bucket. The next $1 bill inserted received $6. I found that the solenoid for the escrow bucket had an issue opening and I had to lubricate and work it a bit to get it working.

washme1

Reaction score
Ido not have a conversion on my rowes but I have had a situation where a $5 bill was inserted after a one$ bill. The coins for the five were not dispensed however the hoppers started up and filled the $1 escrow bucket. The next $1 bill inserted received $6. I found that the solenoid for the escrow bucket had an issue opening and I had to lubricate and work it a bit to get it working.
When the Etowah Valley conversion is installed the doors for the escrow buckets are always open, there is no longer escrow. Coins are dispensed directly to the customer.

washme1

Reaction score
It can happen, not very often but it can. That’s why we count coins going in and currency coming out of the changer. About once a month we empty the Hoppers and count them to make sure they are right on. Very seldom do I get a call that the changer has stolen someone money. When I do I count the currency, subtract the totals from the Hopper counter, if it’s over, I send them whatever they lost. Very seldom it’s over.
I balance the changers ever time I collect. On this particular week, my deposit was $60 long. When I counted the changers after the incident, they were $60 short.