What's new

Equipment room heater size

1carwash1

Reaction score
My old propeller 45000 BTU Reznor unit heater needs to be replaced. The equipment room walls are masonry and the roof is uninsulated metal. The dimensions are approximately 20 x 12 and the ceiling height is 11 feet. Initially, I was going to replace the heater with another 45000 BTU Modine Hot Dawg unit heater but was concerned that a 45000 BTU heater may be too big? Should I get a smaller 30000 BTU unit heater or just replace the existing heater with one sized the same as the original heater?
Thanks

Randy

Reaction score
About 25 years ago I put built a loft above my equipment room. I used 2 X 6’s, insulated the ceiling, put ¼” plywood on the ceiling, painted it white with enamel paint and used ½” plywood for a floor in the loft. I used an attic stairway to get up into the loft. I heater the equipment room with a 5000 Btu electric heater, set to come on at 50 degrees. As a backup I have a 10,000 Btu gas brick heater for when it gets real cold.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I'm in a similar climate and even an 18K btu wall mount natural gas infrared heater works fine. I get the ones that don't require power in the event we do have the rare winter storm

ETA- You are in the Southeast, right?

Last edited:

1carwash1

Reaction score
I'm in a similar climate and even an 18K btu wall mount natural gas infrared heater works fine. I get the ones that don't require power in the event we do have the rare winter storm
Is this a ventless? if so, do you have a problem with moisture?

OurTown

Reaction score
We have an equipment room a little bigger but the ceiling is insulated. There's a hanging 30K BTU ventless infrared heater that is plenty big enough even when it gets down to below 0F. It has a millivolt thermostat which doesn't require any outside power so if there's an electric outage it still works.

Cool Wash

Reaction score
We have an equipment room a little bigger but the ceiling is insulated. There's a hanging 30K BTU ventless infrared heater that is plenty big enough even when it gets down to below 0F. It has a millivolt thermostat which doesn't require any outside power so if there's an electric outage it still works.

can you share brand and model, please?

HeyVern

Reaction score
You'd probably be okay without a heater if you insulated the roof unless it got real cold.

OurTown

Reaction score

Re-Verber-Ray DR 30 NMV-2. It was probably installed in 2003 when the was was built.