What's new

Equipment layout - opinions

CCD

Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing an existing wash which has had all of the equipment removed. I'm figuring the max cars I will need to wash will be in the neighborhood of 60 cars per hour. I'll be running a flex serve, so I'm wanting the cars to come out clean and dry. It's a 100' tunnel, but I don't feel I need to pack the building with equipment right now. I am on somewhat of tight budget. I hope to add equipment as the volume increases.

I'd like your opinions on what type of equipment layout would you suggest putting in to start off with so I am able to attain clean and dry cars which might max out at 60 cars per hour. Sonny's seems to have s Spyder wrap which, according to the website, will get me a 80-90% clean car in a short space. Any thought on this as well?

Thank you,

Carl

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I'm figuring the max cars I will need to wash will be in the neighborhood of 60 cars per hour. I'll be running a flex serve, so I'm wanting the cars to come out clean and dry. It's a 100' tunnel, but I don't feel I need to pack the building with equipment right now. I am on somewhat of tight budget. I hope to add equipment as the volume increases.

e. Any thought on this as well?

Thank you,

Carl
Just put in the Spyder straight arm wraps with teh 901 mitter.

Lots of cleaning in 30 feet. Also have a second 901 Mitter lower details and wheel brush. Triple foam polish is mounted to the front of that mitter.

Pros of the 901 Mitter - lots of cleaning in 30 feet. Is it better than say the AVW unit? Probably not. The AVW mitters are quiter. Less slapping. I start the 901 when the front bumper is under the unit to minimize slapping. I might also change to the "Big Man" Wraps with jog arms. The higher arms should give more swing. I felt the cars are wacking the wraps too hard at fast line speeds. I don't ave any air retracts or pressure. Don't know if that would make a difference.

Sonny's has shocks where the wrap hangs from the arm. AVW does not. Don't know why one type needs it and one doesn't.

I set the second mitter as far as possible from the first so I can ad another mitter if needed. Also gives more dwell time. I like triple coverage but after a couple of months of washing don' think it will be needed.

Still not sure I like reverse wraps. The backs of the cars / vans / suv are always more of an issue for us thasn ther front and the reverse wraps seem more geared to do the front, but I have to say so far so good on thhe backs with the reverse wraps.

I like the Sonny's foundation frame concept and if I didn't already have a wheel brush might have used theirs that fits under the mitter.

I agree. Don't load it up, but paln so you can without moving old stuff around.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“I will need to wash….60 cars per hour.” “….want….cars to come out clean and dry.” “It's a 100' tunnel”

There should be no problem in washing 60 cars an hour within a 100’ tunnel or achieving the goal and objective of clean and dry.

Follow the fundamentals. Here, the task is to arrange the equipment according to the steps needed to clean and dry. It is suggested to divide the tunnel into three sections; cleaning, rinsing/waxing and drying.

Next, consider the value proposition. The only reason motorist’s visit a wash is to solve their problems; clean, shine and protect. In order to deliver on these promises, the wash system will need to meet minimum requirements.

For example, when Fords builds cars, virtually all assembly activities are completed on the mass production line. Carwash is similar. Clean, shine and protect should be delivered in the tunnel automatically (online) with virtually little manual labor while assisted-services are provided off-line (express after-care).

Basic requirements

Solution application - tires, wheels, body
Washing - friction or hybrid to clean horizontal and vertical surfaces.
At 60 cars an hour, I suggest a 5-touch module plus tire brush
Solution application – to lubricate brushes (soft-cloth, foam or lambs-cloth or combination)
Wheel cleaning – high-pressure blaster
Flood arch - to rinse soap, can be low or medium pressure (reclaim ok if product water is good)
Rinse arch – drying agent
Rinse arch – spot-free water
Dryer – 75 to 90 hp

If you use good chemical and product water and place equipment and set line speed appropriately, you should be able to produce a basic clean and dry wash good enough to shuttle cars directly to express after care without having to towel off grime and excess water.

If you want shine and protect so you can solve all the customer’s problems and generate an attractive average ticket, you will need more equipment in tunnel.

DixieCarWash

Reaction score
Question is how much equipment will do the job?

At the wash I worked at we had a half spyder basically without the front wraps. It was a mitter/wrap with tire/rocker mounted under.

Spyders do well especially if they're the only friction component in the tunnel. You can even go all out with the tire brush and dual rocker (2x2). In a 100' tunnel you can easily accommodate a 2nd mitter and side brush with the triple foam and this also doubles as a mist barrier if you have the high pressure arch which is something I hear Sonny's mention allot.

Tommy/AVW are good. The circular mitters are allot friendlier than the front to back or side to side and get the job done.

One recommendation, If you choose Tommy/AVW and your last mitter curtain (assuming you'll have more than one) is used with a triple foam or wax applicator then I suggest using the 41" rocker brush rather than their contour brush which leaves about a foot of gap below the windows where the side arm connects. Working at a Tommy wash I've seen this in action. Just something to consider.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
.... I suggest using the 41" rocker brush rather than their contour brush which leaves about a foot of gap below the windows where the side arm connects. Working at a Tommy wash I've seen this in action. Just something to consider.
FWIW I have an older AVW Van high side brush. It's about 7 feet high. Put filament on bottm 18" . Luv it. Seems a lot less complicated than the contour.

If I wanted something like that again I'd ask AVW to make it rather than the contour.

my2cents

Reaction score
The PECO combo unit allows for wraps on the entrance and exit side like the Sonny's Spyder and gives and option of putting a top brush in place of the mitter curtain. I have seen mitters set up rear wipers to be pulled out only to have a wrap come across the back and remove it. The top brush will not pull the rear wiper out. The stainless steel wrap arms of the PECO unit are heavier than the aluminum arms of the Sonny's unit and have more material 3" x 6" vs 4" x 4". This gives a smoother operation around the front quarter panels. FWIW

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The PECO combo unit allows for wraps on the entrance and exit side like the Sonny's Spyder and gives and option of putting a top brush in place of the mitter curtain.z............... I have seen mitters set up rear wipers to be pulled out only to have a wrap come across the back and remove it. The top brush will not pull the rear wiper out. The stainless steel wrap arms of the PECO unit are heavier than the aluminum arms of the Sonny's unit and have more material 3" x 6" vs 4" x 4". This gives a smoother operation around the front quarter panels. FWIW
Curious. My 2 year old Sonny's Spyder unit has an aluminum frame for the Mitter, but the Horizontal Arm for the wrap from the frame to the brush is stainless, not aluminum.

IMNSHO the mitters pose lots less problems (Roof Rack Issues, Taxi Top lites and roof top ad issues. Pick up truck issues) than top brushes. (Just got rid of 2 for that very reason.)