What's new

epoxy concrete anchors

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Epoxy concrete anchors vs wedge anchors...what has been your experience? I have some large menu signs and booms for free vac stations to install. I've never used epoxy anchors. Need to hear pros and cons from those that have. Thanks.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I'd use only Hilti.

I would just go anchor in your case as it'll be faster and hold the vac fine. I've seen epoxy anchors used to hold the brackets that hold precast facade panels on high rises, I've I'd venture to guess they'd hold a vac down. lol

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't feel there's a need for epoxy anchors unless you're mounting in hollow brick or block. In my experience, regular wedge anchors will break before they pull out, so there's no benefit to using epoxy anchors in solid concrete.

If you are mounting in something hollow, there's an epoxy anchor system that works very well.

wash4me

Reaction score
Epoxy is very strong but as others have said it’s just a waste for holding out a vacuum you could use just about anything that’s designed to go in concrete. That being said if you had a bunch of them to do you can save some money by just getting 10 foot pieces of threaded rod, cutting it up and then using two-part epoxy.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't think it would even save much money as inexpensive as wedge anchors are, and you'd spend a lot more time with cutting the threaded rod, straightening the threads on one end to get the nut started, getting the rod set in with just the right amount of threads exposed and waiting for the epoxy to set, and you'd have to clean the holes thoroughly where with wedge anchors you can just blow out most of the dust and drive them in. Takes me about two minutes to mount a vac with wedge anchors.

BBE

Reaction score
I believe the OP is talking about mounting the large vacuum stanchion posts with a boom coming out of the top of them that the vacuum then mounts onto. These anchors would obviously need to be much more heavy duty than something like a wedge anchor to just anchor a vacuum down.

MEP001

Reaction score
The only way an epoxy anchor is going to be as strong than a wedge anchor is if the hole is conical so it literally can't pull up through the hole, and then they still aren't any stronger than a wedge anchor.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to use epoxy with a wedge anchor.

sparkey

Reaction score
Epoxy is way stronger than a wedge anchor. At work we use epoxy anchors to hold robots to the floor. Its the only thing that will hold them. Wedge anchors in this application last about a month before they let loose. I have removed robots and used a large tow motor to try to pull the old threaded rods out of the floor and they don't let loose. You will bust the concrete before they let loose. We just drill the hole and insert epoxy and threaded rods into the hole.

I agree though to hold a vac down its overkill.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
Epoxy is way stronger than a wedge anchor. At work we use epoxy anchors to hold robots to the floor. Its the only thing that will hold them. Wedge anchors in this application last about a month before they let loose. I have removed robots and used a large tow motor to try to pull the old threaded rods out of the floor and they don't let loose. You will bust the concrete before they let loose. We just drill the hole and insert epoxy and threaded rods into the hole.

I agree though to hold a vac down its overkill.
What brand epoxy do you use?

sparkey

Reaction score
What brand epoxy do you use?
I don't remember the exact brand name. I know fastenal sells some that I used to put a car lift in and it seemed to be good stuff.