What's new

Environmental Consultation

Mitch

Reaction score
I am restarting a wash that has been closed for about a year. Of course, I am encountering all kinds of headaches from the county. Have any of you ever had to employ the services of an environmental consultant? This wash is on a drain field, hence the environmental stipulations. Thanks, Mitch

mac

Reaction score
Good luck, you'll need it. The wash must be an older one. You might as well ask if you can open a topless joint next to the local grade school. If the wash was closed and you are opening it with a new license, I doubt they will let you. If you want to pursue it, you will most likely need a closed loop water reclaim system. On a retrofit to an older wash, expect to pay from 30K to maybe 50K for one. I can recommend Catec at http://www.catec.com/ I've done several with their systems.

Mitch

Reaction score
Thanks, Mac. The strip club maket is fairly saturated here. Yes, the wash is 10 or 12 years old, but it is a prime location and once prospered big time. The second owners (Koreans) bought 20 acres of extra city property that they expected the wash to pay for and went belly up.

I am afraid you are correct about the reclaim. The site once had one, so the tanks and plumbing are in place if necessary, and I am familiar with and partial to Catec.

I am not sure if I can make this fly, but it will be worth it if I can!

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So, you are planning to rehab a closed carwash that has no tie in to city sewer?

This idea would scare the bejesus out of me.

I once considered this too because of the distance to the sewer connection from my site ( i had purchased the raw land many years prior to building) and subsequent cost of a 'sewer extension'.

I had to tailor the rest of my plans to fit the budgetary conatrints created by the extra expense of sewer tie in. I am very glad I am connected to city sewer. I know there are reclaim systems that say they will work. However, if you have a choice, tie in to the municipal sewer system; I feel this is the only correct way to operate a carwash.

Mitch

Reaction score
It does not seem unordinary in this part of the country for washes to operate on a drain field. Although, this 8 + 1 does have a drain field to end all. It has three pumps and two drain lines, a seperate system for the two bathrooms, and it encompasses nearly five acres! There is not sewer available, even though it is in the city limits. This led to the downfall of the second owners (were not able to develope the other 20 acres). I know this may sould odd to some of you, but this is where we are right now. And reclaim is fairly certain.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Still would scare me out of doing it, 'normal' or not.

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
I have provided reclaim systems for many washes across the country that don't have a sewer. "There's nothing to fear but fear itself!"

mac

Reaction score
Where some see fear and goblins, others see opportunity. If the site truely has great potential, AND the purchase price is right, why not go for it. Just a few caveats: 1. It will help tremendously if you have already operated a wash, preferrably with reclaim. 2. Expect to spend a lot more time monitoring the site for things like oil changes, RV holding tank dumps, and my favorite, carpet cleaning vans. A camera setup will be real helpful. 3. Run the place in an above average condition. Keep records of pit pumping and anything else environmental. 4. Plan on running it for two to three years and sell it to recoup your investment.
You might also check with the city master planner to see when they plan to run sewer linew to that area. Also see if other washes are operating legally on a drain field. If they are, then you can not be denied permission also.

Randy

Reaction score
I have 2 customers who have rather unique situations at the car washes. Both don?t have sewer available. The State in both cases had them install a unique waste water system. One is in the high desert country. The state had him install a sprinkler system so all the waster water is used as sprinkler water on the property in back of the car wash. He only has a small 3 bay wash but the system works.
The other wash is 4 bay wash on a large 2 acre site. The state had him install a lined lagoon with a fountain in the middle. Most of the year there is very little water in the lagoon as most of the water evaporates