What's new

employee check lists

tw1012

Reaction score
I have very unorganized and messy washes.

I do not have any system for employee responsibilities and pretty much just go by the wash and tell the guys what they need to do which they do half assed and it eventually goes back to the way it was, dirty and unorganized.

Is anyone willing the share employee and manager check lists, mechanical check lists and offer any other advice.

I own two bay laserwashes that I run as detail shops.

thanks in advance,

MEP001

Reaction score
No offense, but if you don't even know what you expect of them, they can't know what they need to do without you going by and telling them. IMO the best approach would be to sit down and make a list of general duties they must do every day as well as an equipment maintenance checklist that should probably be done separately and by one qualified person at each site.

tw1012

Reaction score
I completely agree. I have started making lists and opening/closing procedures but if you guys have any that you can send me that would help a lot.

thanks.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Here's mine:

Daily checklist a.m.

 1. Check equipment room for leaks
 2. Check & clean any debris in radius & s/g
 3. Check & clean dog wash room
 4. Check ss bays – clean bays/guns/brushes/panels
 5. Sweep up trash, mud, ice around parking lot
 6. Wipe vacuums and organize hoses
 7. Empty trash cans if needed
(put down ice melt if needed)

every monday of each month

 1. Check soap in dog room & chemicals in equipment room
 2. Drain air compressor & h20 sperator in s/g

every 1st monday of each month

 1. Clean vacuum filters & empty debris pails

MEP001

Reaction score
I had made a list years ago and would have sent it but after a good five years doing everything myself I haven't needed a list and don't know where the file is.

I have a couple suggestions for Car_Wash_Guy's list - rather than putting "arrange hoses" on a checklist, I'd put it on an expected duties list to be done routinely. You don't want them deciding to straightening the hoses once a day, you want them checking every chance they have and keeping them picked up. When I'm at the wash (Usually 3-4 hours a day) I walk around the lot every 5 to 15 minutes with broom and dustpan and inspect everything.

You really should drain the compressor and separator every day. The tank will rust through if you do it once a week. I'd suggest either an auto drain or something pretty clever I saw at one wash, just a cheap air blower valve on the floor that could be stepped on to drain it.

Etowah

jfmoran

Reaction score
Here is a link to an article I recently wrote for PC&D magazine on this topic. My best advice is this: checklists are tools, tools are only valuable in the right hands. You can create all the checklists you want, but if you don't involve and get buy in from your staff, your "spitting into the wind."

http://www.carwash.com/tools-of-the-trade-5/

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Some years ago PAt Crowe sent me a rater comprehensive Cheklst. Not sure where it is.

MEP001

Reaction score
I recently ran across an old checklist someone else made. I'll try to remember to post it tomorrow.

twerkinatthecarwash

Reaction score
Make a list of everything you expect them to do on a daily basis. Make them complete and initial it every shift.

Its that easy, its called being a boss.

Pick up garbage, sweep the lot, clean the windows, clean out podium, clean pay stations. Be nitpicky. If they don't want to do the work get rid of them, there are plenty of people out there who will do the job willingly and happily.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it sounds like you've let them be on their own for far too long. It sounds like you're not happy with your washes, which means you need to be a boss and actually check on your employees and give them consequences for their actions.

Oh, and by the way, if your wash is clean, and staff is friendly and not lazy, you'll probably see an increase in customer satisfaction.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. check bays and lot for slippery conditions and add traction. test all equipment / all functions while rinse down bays.

2. check for leaks.

3. empty trash

4. shake bags down and empty vac clean out bins.

4..clean lot of litter and cig butts

5. wipe down bay equipment with armorall ( works great on meter boxes, wands brushes and hoses and bay signs.

6. wipe down bill breaker and autoteller with armorall.

7. test bill breaker and auto teller.

8. test auto wash and doors

9. coffee break

twerkinatthecarwash

Reaction score
- Clean up misc from podium

- wipe down podium

-clean buttons and switches

-clean shelf

-clean signs

-clean glass doors

-spray floor

-clean cameras

-clean windows

-empty any garbages if needed

-sweep and mop the chem room

-pick up trash

-put cleaning supplies away properly

-clean office windows

-clean office counters

-wipe down computers/monitors

-sweep and mop office

-put away clutter

-check vacuums

-pull and spray weeds as needed

-clean the bathroom

-restock the bathroom

-empty mat cleaner tray

that's most of the things on our lists, there's a lot more specifics that I put into one category on this list.