What's new

eliminate trash cans

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering getting rid of my trash cans, and I'm looking for feedback from operators who have done it. Specifically I'd like to know if you experienced a significant reduction in vac revenues, but happy to hear any comments about your results.
Thanks.

chaz

Reaction score
I'm afraid I'd have the same trash, just even more to sweep from the lot. Plus I imagine my city would have something to say about littering that would likely come back on my wash

MEP001

Reaction score
It's a necessary evil to have trash receptacles at a wash IMO. Just today I went to lift a can and there were three 80 pound bags of concrete in it. That's nowhere near the heaviest I've found one either.

I've thought more than once about putting up signage that they're only for normal trash, no construction debris or household trash, no empty boxes or mail, use is theft for non-customers, etc. I'd certainly do that before getting rid of trash cans.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I have a sign on my equipment room door that tells the location of the closet dump and trash cans are for paying customers only. I had a local dump close down 6-7 years ago and that made my trash increase by double. My family tells me back in the day you had to dump the trash 8-10x's every day because of the business volume. MEP I have found concrete before and Brake rotors all the way too the top. It Sucks we try to chase people down that do this. I have went to the extent of people dumping home trash bags get there address and thereaten to fine them for excessive trash and littering by a letter in the mail. Trash is one of the evils in the business.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
IMO you shouldn't eliminate the trash carns because you'd be punishing good customers because of the actions of the low lifes.

What you can do is reduce the number of cans. I got rid of one can and it helped.

I still get baby seats, car parts and furniture, but when I get mad enough I have a safety valve I open; it's called " raise the price".

Kevin James

Reaction score
So far this year some of the notable things we’ve gotten are 600 lbs. of barbell weights in the garbage can, an abandoned car on blocks with no tires, a 16 foot travel trailer, a 10 foot cab over camper packed full of junk and garbage and the usual bags of household garbage. Sometimes I think we aren’t in the car wash business but a transfer site for the landfill and are being used as door mat for society to crap all over us. It never seems to end, you can call the police and nothing ever changes, it just goes on. If we took away our garbage cans I’d hate to think about what would happen.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Kevin - sounds like you got some good scrap metal!

I agree, it's part of the biz. Take away the trash cans, and we'll just end up w trash on the ground and the corners of the bay. I think you should leave them there for the good customers, and continue to battle the abusers.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Paul try it for 1-2 weeks and see what happens.
Maybe try posting signs at each vacuum pad saying trash dumpster is in the rear of the car wash for car wash customers use only.
See if you have trash on the ground, lost income or vandalism in that time.
Report your findings.
Your in my prayers.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
This heretic thanks you for your replies.
Given the costs - tangible & not - of dealing with trash, I've wondered for a long time if we're all nuts for accepting the status quo - frankly I'm quite skeptical that the business justification for accepting trash doesn't pencil out. I was hoping somebody had already done it and could share some actual results.

I do not think eliminating trash would reduce wash or vending revenue.
I do think vac revenue would decrease, but quite likely by only a smallish percentage; which I think I could offset with a vac price increase.

I'm working on a few other projects right now, but I cant get this out of my mind. Maybe I'll eliminate the trash cans for the winter when vac revenue is low anyway - consider it part of my customer training program ;)

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I am curious if you have surveillance cameras? And if at least one is prominently by the trash can?

My wash had a probably-normal trash problem when I bought it. Within about six months I installed cameras. The problem went down. I set a threshold that anyone dumping over a certain amount of trash would get a contact from me. The problem went down. I took a thumb drive across the street and had a photo store print out some pictures of trash dumpers. I didn't know it at the time, but the owner of the photo store talks to EVERYONE in town. (A small town.) The problem went down.

Again, not sure of your camera situation. But having them helped me.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Whether I keep the cans or not, I like the idea of printing pictures :) I'm in a small town, that will get results.
I do not have cameras... yet. They are finally in the budget, I will be installing them before year end.

Trash dumping is a bit of a problem in my town, virtually every business complains about it but nobody gets rid of the cans. I've done a bunch of things that reduced the problem, but I still have to clean up at least once a day, usually twice, sometimes more. Since I'm a small wash, I dont have an attendant - which means I have to drive in to town, even on rainy days. The police are sympathetic and somewhat willing to help, but they say that since I have cans out its a bit of a grey area. So I'm thinking about it.

Once the cameras are in, the guy who fills a can once a month with kitty litter will be cited. As will the guy who drops off his coal ashes every week. And the 6-8 cases of empty beer cans every few days. And of course the construction truck cleanouts. Etc, you all have the same list.
And the construction crews that fill all the cans with their week's worth of lunch trash, drop a token in the vac and leave. Not worth the buck for me to drive down and clean up their mess.

But the fundamental question still bugs me - is there a business case for accepting garbage.

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
I have sort of an answer to your question. Not directly but sort of.

After my cameras went in, I saw a LOT of things I did not like. Trash was only one. The carpet cleaner dumping waste water out of his van was impressive in the wrong way. Seeing so many small dumpings of trash was problematic.

To keep my sanity, I resolved that I would set a limit. Only those who brought three black hefty bags (or more) were worth my time and aggravation to chase down. But I did chase them down and politely told them to knock it off. All of them did.

A guy visited, carefully walked his milk jugs of used motor oil to the dumpster, then "shot-putted" two car batteries into the dumpster. I had a toxic mess of oil and battery acid oozing out right onto the area where people vacuum. I contacted the Sheriff and gave them photos and video. The person was arrested and about six months later I got a check for $400 in restitution.

So, to sort of answer your question, I set a threshold and that worked for me. If it's under the threshold, I just ignore it.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Here is my solution to the "garbage dumping" problem. The signs, plus the special lid has made a significant difference in the customer's attitude concerning the rules of behavior at the car wash.

Before this setup, I would go to the car wash on a daily basis to find all 4 55 gal drum cans FILLED with everything already mentioned from other operators. We became the city dump. I truly believe word got out which only made the problem grow.

If I tried to "let" the garbage sit for a few days, the customers would only shove and stuff more garbage into the can.

Then, they would proceed to literally throw the garbage all over the vac islands, in the wash bays, and just right on the ground.

I also tried to "take away" the trash cans. This helped as to the amount of garbage, but did nothing for the mess itself. The place would look like a bomb went off each day (except for very cold and or snowy days).

I was very skeptical that some signs and new lids would actually deter the "dumpers" from coming around. This problem has been going on for well over 15 to 20 years. So far, for the past 2 months, it has made a fairly significant difference.

The drive by dumpers are almost non existent. I guess the signs really hit home, plus the size of the lid prevents them from just driving in and tossing the trash while they drive through the lot.

Don't get me wrong, it has tamed down the amount of regular car wash customer garbage, not eliminated it.
Most of, if not all, the garbage is now IN the can and not on the ground or vac islands.
The handles make dumping a full can very easy, and keeps the crap away from you while dumping.
Regular customer feedback has been positive, even though they may have been the culprits to begin with.

When we get hit with a snow storm, or the temps are below 20 degrees F, only one can is left out. We move the can next to the vending machine away from the vacs without too much fanfare. It helps while snowplowing and again prevents the drive by drop and drive.

My vac revenue has not changed one bit.
I now dump the cans every 3 to 4 days.
Because of this, I am now getting about 30 to 40% LESS garbage.
I know that I probably will get items that "don't" fit anymore. If so, I won't have to dig them, or dump them out of the can.
I truly believe the lid has helped out the amount of garbage the most. Dumpers are TOO lazy to get out and actually separate their garbage so it would fit.
Next in line will be a smaller dumpster etc.

Mike

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
I like the signs and lids, but the crooked stop sign across the street is bugging me.

Eric H

Reaction score
Sooo....where is the link to where you bought those can covers? They won't work for me but I do like them.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Sooo....where is the link to where you bought those can covers? They won't work for me but I do like them.
Trashcansunlimited.com look under drum lids they have about 10 different styles and multiple colors.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I like the signs and lids, but the crooked stop sign across the street is bugging me.
That stop sign has been replaced by the borough at least 4 or 5 times a year. Trucking company across the street is always driving over it.