What's new

Elevating Spot Free Tank

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I know lumber is not the ideal way, but what are the recommendations for elevating a 100 gallon spot free tank along with a 55 gallon for additional storage?

I don't have the capabilities or the equipment for fabricating up a steel base, so I'm looking to use what I am familiar with.

Ideas, suggestions. I'm looking for quality at a cost effective price!

Thanks!

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I know lumber is not the ideal way, but what are the recommendations for elevating a 100 gallon spot free tank along with a 55 gallon for additional storage?

I don't have the capabilities or the equipment for fabricating up a steel base, so I'm looking to use what I am familiar with.

Ideas, suggestions. I'm looking for quality at a cost effective price!

Thanks!
Not sure how high you are looking to elevate it, and dimensions of platform. but your looking at a little over 1000lbs. I would think a frame of 4x4 using deck hardware would work. You may want to check for some on line plans involving cross bracing, and joist sizing and spacing.

MEP001

Reaction score
There are books at home improvement stores on building decks, and they outline what's needed down to spacing of joists depending on the weight it will bear.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
If you can build a sturdy enough frame for it (1200lbs+), then you might be able to get away with using four threaded rods ran through 4x4's in the attic laid across your trusses to help distribute the weight.

Personally I wouldn't do this project without some angle iron shaped in an "L" to support the platform and bolted to a concrete wall.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I can get angle iron, I just don't have a welder to build the frame. Would you recommend the angle for vertical support?

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I'm not sure that I would support it to the trusses. It would be nice to free up the floor space, but I doubt any roof system is rated/built for that weight.

If you use 4x4, 4x6 as legs a number of 2x4s as cross bracing, you should be able to make it safe. What are you looking at 6' sq? I would attach it to the wall with something. Even if you used some steel cable and eye bolts to the trusses for added stability in case of earthquake or whatever.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
12 years ago I didnt have welding equipment either, so I hired a local welder to do it for me.

2 steel pipes (4" diam) across the equip room (from wall to wall) spaced about 3' apart, with a plate welded on the ends so I could bolt them to the block wall. Each pipe has 2 legs welded to it. It's way stronger than it needs to be, but I currently have 2 150 gal SFR storage tanks on it, have room for 2 more. When I have to replace my compressor I'll probably put that up there too.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Combined weight you're talking roughly 1400 lbs. I know it's not ideal, but could the big gorilla rack work? You could put the tanks on top, and have storage underneath.

MEP001

Reaction score
cfcw said:
Combined weight you're talking roughly 1400 lbs. I know it's not ideal, but could the big gorilla rack work? You could put the tanks on top, and have storage underneath.
I had been considering building a "loft" at one end of the room for storage, but your suggestion makes a lot more sense. I can buy used commercial rack for next to nothing and cut the legs down to fit in the room. I might even remove the 300-gallon tank and put half a dozen drums off the floor.

Randy

Reaction score
A number of years ago an operator wanted to install a second PDQ 4000 at his wash. He didn’t have room for the equipment for a second PDQ 4000 so we moved all the self serve equipment and the Spotfree water tank up in the attic. He had ½” plywood on the floor of the attic and we laid down 1” plywood over the top of that and beefed up the floor joists on the bottom with 4 X6’s. We also put in a trap door and small air operated winch to move chemicals and materials up into the attic. It’s been rock solid since it was installed, it didn’t move in the last earthquake we had. It can bedone with wood.

MEP001

Reaction score
Bubbles Galore said:
Mep - where are you finding used ones? Craigslist?
There's a local company that sells it. Craigslist might be good too.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
It can bedone with wood.
I completely agree - heck, my house is wood!
I'm simply pointing out that metal is not difficult, I wouldnt cross it off my list of options just because I didnt have a welder.
In fact for me metal was easier, cheaper, stronger, takes up less space, and leaves me with 0 worries.

MEP001

Reaction score
In the last 12 years the cost of steel has at least quadrupled. I would be very surprised if it would currently be cheaper than building with wood.

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
I built a steel shelf a few years ago using angle iron that was probably easier and a lot stronger than wood. Rather than welding, it was drilled and bolted together and topped with a plywood deck. It easily holds a horizontal flat bottom 175 gal poly tank.