What's new

electrical question

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
While replacing the 8 pos rotary switch with a 10 pos, I noticed a disc capacitor in the bay box that was attached to the 24v hot and the 24v com.
on the wiring connection strip.

Nothing to do but to touch it and 'as usual' I broke one of the wires going to it....
can anyone tell me why this is needed and should I be concerned about getting a new one.

It is a D&S meter box.

borumrm

TN D&S 5000's
Reaction score
Do the wires seemed brittle and maybe burned....could they be to a meter box heating element?

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Do the wires seemed brittle and maybe burned....could they be to a meter box heating element?
No they are not going to the heater....the heater is in the lower left bottom and this disc capacitor is on the top right

pitzerwm

Reaction score
That is to stop electrical spikes when the switch is flipped around. You can get them anywhere (Radio Shack) and they are pretty cheap.

MEP001

Reaction score
It's probably a varistor. I don't believe you even need it since the voltage spikes are so weak, but you can get it from many electronics stores or Mouser.com.

Last time I checked Radio Shack, they didn't have 'em.

Rudy

Reaction score
My bet is also that it's a varistor. Basically, it's a device that's "open" as long as the voltage between the leads is below a "threshold" voltage. When this voltage is exceeded, it shorts. That's why it's invisible to the 24V hot, and if there's a spike, it shorts to the common....keeping the surge from going into the equipment. In my mind, it's cheap protection. I put them everywhere......

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
My bet is also that it's a varistor. Basically, it's a device that's "open" as long as the voltage between the leads is below a "threshold" voltage. When this voltage is exceeded, it shorts. That's why it's invisible to the 24V hot, and if there's a spike, it shorts to the common....keeping the surge from going into the equipment. In my mind, it's cheap protection. I put them everywhere......
Also works as lightning protection, Ryko uses them on almost every transformer.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
Yep,, looked up varistor with the no on the varistor and it is a cke z15L470

You guys are right again,,,I just keep on learning from this site.

THANKS,
BOB