What's new

Electrical problem with spot free

Mchas

Reaction score
My spot free decided to stop working today. After probing around with a voltmeter it seems like one of these resistors (? Edit: googling the markings, might be “bridge rectifiers” whatever that is?) might be the issue. I am getting 24v on the left side but nothing on the right side when it goes to the relay (?).

Could one of these have gone bad? Is this a common setup? Seems kind of “home grown” to me - there must be a better way to do this?

Including a picture of where I think the problem might be. Didn’t think to take a zoomed out picture showing the rest of the components. Also including a picture of the cover to the relay that this leads to

Any thoughts are appreciated!

C9570D3E-648E-47DD-B56F-3D43A1E5D91E.jpeg
DCADFBAE-B0C8-410E-8376-CEC45FDC3B5F.jpeg

Last edited:

Mchas

Reaction score
Is this a poor man’s version of something like an IDX MX10 controller?

MEP001

Reaction score
Is this a poor man’s version of something like an IDX MX10 controller?
Sort of, more like a clone of Specialty Equipment's "diode box" that converted the 24VAC to 24VDC to power a DC relay. FWIW I've seen a lot of failures to IDX's multiplexers even though it looks like a better design and a little easier to work with. I use the GinSan one, which are about the same price. I wouldn't ever place the load of a spot free pump directly on the controller.

Mchas

Reaction score
So what would be the right way to wire this up to get it working again?

MEP001

Reaction score
If you use a multiplexer, the easiest way to get the load off the device is to use a heavy relay or contactor with a 120V coil, run the line side of the power for the pump through the device to the coil, and wire the multiplexer per its instructions. You could even use a bank of relays instead of a multiplexer, but I like to have a delay on the pump which both IDX and GinSan multiplexers have.

MEP001

Reaction score
Reminds me of whats in a futura ro control box
Because Futura is from Specialty Equipment who derived their "diode box" from the method used in OP's setup.