What's new

Electric driven conveyor Vs. Hydraulic drive

toddmullens

Reaction score
Does anybody have any personal experience with an electric driven conveyor? I have only used hydraulic driven conveyors and was curious about any huge negatives of the electric drive. The only thing I see off the top of my head is the trench flooding and water and electricity don't mix very well.

RJMurph

Reaction score
I personally have not ever had expirence with an electric conveyor.

But I searously have no clue why anybody would ever want to put an electric motor down there, you can beat the crap out of a power pack. If the chain jams the pack just goes into bypass. I can only imagine that that it would wear on the electric motor.

Espically now that they have water based hydraulic fluid (hydrablue)?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I personally have not ever had expirence with an electric conveyor.

Espically now that they have water based hydraulic fluid (hydrablue)?
FWIW I use water based fluid in all but the conveyor PP. They seem to generate an amount of heat that caused issues.. / leaks and failure.

BBE

Reaction score
FWIW I use water based fluid in all but the conveyor PP. They seem to generate an amount of heat that caused issues.. / leaks and failure.
Same here. Was always told to run regular oil in the conveyor pp because of the heat, but we run water based in everything else. I personally wouldn't do an electric conveyor

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
If I was building a conveyor today, I would seriously consider a belt, electric driven.

Besides the marketing aspects are safety considerations such as autonomous vehicle operation (i.e. self-braking) and productivity (i.e. self-loading).

Ten years ago, belts cost twice as much and there was no loading segment.

Today, belts are affordable, customers like it.

SErep

Reaction score
Cleaning wheels is still problematic for the belts. Also, having customers drive through tire shine machines after exiting from the belt conveyor creates all kinds of scenarios, very few of them with a good ending.