What's new

Dynawash lives on!

Starrwash

Reaction score
TLC creations out of Red Wing Minnesota is buying, selling, servicing and offering fully refurbished Dynawash units for sale. I did purchase one approximately a year ago and have had a great experience. Just wondering how many of the washes are still around?

Attachments

washnshine

Reaction score
TLC creations out of Red Wing Minnesota is buying, selling, servicing and offering fully refurbished Dynawash units for sale. I did purchase one approximately a year ago and have had a great experience. Just wondering how many of the washes are still around?
Interesting- never saw one in person but they remind me of those Futura washes by Specialty Equipment Co.

Randy

Reaction score
“Dynawash” there’s a name I haven’t heard in years. They were AOK’s answer to the inbay automatic market. If I remember correctly they weren’t a real popular machine. AOK was started by 2 guys who left Specialty Equipment Co. I think AOK went out of business about 20 years ago

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I had one about 20 years ago. I think A-OK's owner's name was Doug if I recall.

It's in a scrap heap now.

carwash11147

Reaction score
I have three of them and they are all still running. Oldest one is 2003 and has about 450,000 washes on it. They went out of business around 2007.

Starrwash

Reaction score
Mine is an overbuilt stainless steel monster. Bullet proof and performs very well with current chemical selections. I personally highly recommend.

bigjws

Reaction score
They are definitely still around .. I'm still running one installed in 1999! As long as it's kept clean and the chemicals are kept right there is very little maintenance and it cleans better than most other touch free's I've been through. The 'most' is because mine has a sliding bar at the top instead of oscillating arms .. I've always meant to fabricate an oscillating set up for it, but haven't gotten around to it (in 20+ years!) ;)

JGinther

Zip-tie engineer
Reaction score
That's funny, because we have to fix a couple every few days. They have issues with the drive wheel axles snapping. I think its because they put on-board blowers without thinking about the added weight. And wheel bearings are constantly failing. And the brain is basically brain-dead... If a home sensor fails, the machine plows the end rail for hours and hours. No timeout. Just burns a hole in the rail/wheels. It is stainless, so I guess that why it 'lasts forever..?'

water guy

Reaction score
Do They Use Alot of Water? Verses the inverted L machines.

Last edited:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
With all due respect, These machines look like 1970's technology. Maybe that's ok in certain applications, but if I want to wash more cars at a higher price point, the customer expects modern, fast, and snazzy.

bigjws

Reaction score
:) These comments always makes me laugh .. you're right, I could pour $150k and upgrade to a new snazzy looking touch free with the bells and whistles -- or I could spend less than $10k and add colored LEDs, rain bars, graphics, etc. I could even add a touchscreen cashier to 'modern' it up...all with the same '70's technology (90's actually, but that's beside the point) that will wash a car just as good and as fast as the new ones. And honestly, a little more simple to work on when it actually goes down.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well...this week I start removing a 16 year old touch-free machine that also washes a car perfectly fine and is easy to work on. But I'm a believer in re-investing into a business. There is a reason manufacturers sell new car wash machinery; it's better. Less down-time, less tinkering on repairs, more reliable, faster, easily programmable. Also, if your competitors reinvest in new equipment and you don't, they have a competitive advantage over you. Upgrading equipment also allows for a significant price increase.

I can respect milking all you can out of equipment, but for me, upgrading to new is where it's at.

washnshine

Reaction score
I think everyone reaches the point of “having to replace my machine” at a different time. There is no magic number of years, cars washed, if it still looks cool or not. etc. It’s about several factors, all mentioned in the above posts, and balancing them to find “the right time” to upgrade.

That 16 year old machine Waxman is taking out may have been replaced after 7, 8 or 10 years by another operator who thought it was outdated or no longer as appealing as the new equipment on the market. And someone else might milk it to 18 or 20 years. I’ve seen that done too.

We all know our own situation best, hopefully!

bigjws

Reaction score
I agree with washnshine - different thought processes for different people. I can see replacing if the new machinery was better -- however, I've driven through quite a few 'better' machines throughout the years and haven't seen any difference over the ones I've got besides a new look and new 'show'... I'm not sure what actual improvements have been (or can be) made to the actual machine besides cosmetic/glitz. And as I've said, I can get a new look and glitz for a lot less - I can redo all the graphics, add lights, etc for a fraction of the cost, customers think it's a new machine and I can raise my prices (actually did this a few years back). Not sure how new ones are faster? And not sure what the 'programmable' part is .. the gantry makes 'x' amount of passes, some faster some slower...not much more you need to do? As far as repairs, the first year or two is nice, but then you have the same repairs as an older one, it's still the same hoses, swivels, and motors -- except the new one probably has a lot more electronics that makes you more dependent on the manufacturer.

I'm really not trying to milk anything -- this isn't a foam brush head that I'm trying to leave out there until the last 10 bristles fall off. My whole philosophy is to keep it simple, so when I can replace something so it's better for the customer/makes me more money/and is easier on me I definitely do. But when it still performs as good as a new one, when I can make it look like a new one, and the downtime is comparable I just don't see the reason. And the reason manufacturers sell new Automatics is to make money .. not necessarily because they're better.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The new wash World razor is definitely better than what I am replacing. The entry system, the vinyl doors versus metal garage doors, the positioning system for the car, the extra sensors, the programmable touchscreen, the diagnostics and troubleshooting that are computerized, The production arch on the machine which allows me to apply chemicals or rinse water quickly. These are just a few things I can think of off the top of my head and I'm sure there are many more that make it far superior to my old equipment. When I think of all the things the automated machinery does to make me money without much input from me, it seems silly that I waited this long to replace my old machinery with something new. Of course manufacturers want to make money. Don't we all? Many things can be repaired and made to last. But that doesn't mean that is the best decision for a business like a car wash.

Starrwash

Reaction score
The Dynawash that is sold at TLC in Red Wing Mn is completely gone through with all new motors, gear boxes and bearings. He also has a brand new improved control unit. No corner cut. His pricing is roughly half of newer light weight units and service life I would argue is at least twice as long. I am not selling anything, I am partial because I own one. And I certainly respect everyone’s opinions. I have been more than satisfied.

washnshine

Reaction score
The Dynawash that is sold at TLC in Red Wing Mn is completely gone through with all new motors, gear boxes and bearings. He also has a brand new improved control unit. No corner cut. His pricing is roughly half of newer light weight units and service life I would argue is at least twice as long. I am not selling anything, I am partial because I own one. And I certainly respect everyone’s opinions. I have been more than satisfied.
Good to hear and glad it is working out well for you. Are those all 0° oscillating nozzles? I know they pack quite a bit more punch than the fan sprays and probably doesn’t require the measuring/ sizing for proximity.

That’s what I kind of like about the new Petit 360. Looks like a high impact oscillating type of coverage. I think it does still size fronts and backs, though which will probably help cleaning those areas.

Starrwash

Reaction score
Good to hear and glad it is working out well for you. Are those all 0° oscillating nozzles? I know they pack quite a bit more punch than the fan sprays and probably doesn’t require the measuring/ sizing for proximity.

That’s what I kind of like about the new Petit 360. Looks like a high impact oscillating type of coverage. I think it does still size fronts and backs, though which will probably help cleaning those areas.
Yes zeros, I think the methodical operation of the beast appeals to customers

Starrwash

Reaction score
Yes has the zero nozzles and proximity for rear of vehicle. Really does a good job. The nozzles perform well and really get vehicles clean.