What's new

Dummy camera domes???

Wet Spot

Reaction score
I've been burglarized twice and vandalized once in the last week. I'm going to change my lighting, but am looking at possibly adding those fake camera domes. Has anyone done this, and if so did it help, or is there any liability. I thought I read something a few years ago about an owner getting sued because the customer got robbed and felt safe because of the camera's he thought were in place??? Where can I find these, and pricing?

Thanks
Matt

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Why not do right thing and install REAL cameras? yes they may be expensive up front but in the long run they pay for themselves time and time again form damage claims, theft, good customer stories, real sense of security your customers will appreciate.

Wet Spot

Reaction score
Why not do right thing and install REAL cameras? yes they may be expensive up front but in the long run they pay for themselves time and time again form damage claims, theft, good customer stories, real sense of security your customers will appreciate.
You have a good point about the possible damage claims. But for now, I'm going to install all new lights and put up a few of these cameras and signs to detour crime. I have a budget, and this will have to do for now. Just don't want to buy complete junk off the internet and would like to see what others have used.

Thanks

pitzerwm

Reaction score
As long as you don't put any signs that "say that your place is more safe because of the cameras" it wouldn't go anywhere. Your insurance is on the hook for liability anyway.

A good quality dome will help, but getting the real thing is good too. I use to have a few real ones and some real domes without the camera.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think only dummies is a mistake.

You can get real cameras on a budget.

There is a radio shack package that includes both real and placebo cameras for short money.

Then later, with the money u save from not paying a deductible on vandalism, you can upgrade to the $1600 system you can monitor from your home. That'd be a nice peace of mind.

Etowah

Louise

Reaction score
I have 13 cameras that have helped very little in the prosecution of the great number of idiots I have had stealing from me. I have had over 15 break-ins. The thing that has helped me, and is cheaper, is the installation of shock (vibration) sensors. The moment someone uses a hammer or crowbar, the alarm is set off.

I assume you have an alarm system. Call your alarm company and get a quote on shock sensors. Since the install of this new equipment, I have had zero successful break-ins.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I put in real camera's 2 years ago and to date have caught the two people that attempted to break in at two different locations.

Before that, I have had signs and "fake" camera's for over 20 years about how the place was under surveillance. It never stopped the criminals once, as I have had numerous problems in the past.

Camera's will not stop anybody from doing anything, but when they captured the act, each person paid for the damages and the monetary loss.

Alarms are definitely a better step in actually being able to stop the break ins and eventually deter them once word on the street gets out.

My favorite type of deterrent is still having multiple locks, bars, covers, etc. on the equipment, doors, etc. to deter the act all together.

Start with the multiple layers first, then use the alarm system to its fullest (shock sensor, trip sensors, etc.), then move to real cameras.

Sometimes I think it is better for the cameras to be out of plain view.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Times do change and the balls that the criminals have are getting bigger, because there isn't much deterrent with our legal system. but in the 80's my laundromat was being broke into weekly and once twice in one night. I did have an alarm and they never got anything, but when I added cameras, the break ins stopped and long after they died, the deterrent still worked.

Louise

Reaction score
Other two minor things that I did:

1. I posted the newspaper article that the local paper printed on the three guys that were arrested in one of my burglaries. I had it laminated and wrote in big red letters - 9 MONTHS IN JAIL. Posted it on my community bulletin board. I am amazed at the number of losers that walk onto my property at 3 a.m. to read the article, check out the cameras and walk away - only to burglarize another business down the street.

2. I installed a cheap disco type light that flashes red. I put it in my office and have it on a timer. Flashes from 11 pm - 5 am and can be seen thru my bullet proof windows.

These, along with the shock sensors, has protected my property pretty well.