What's new

DS 5000 bearing bad??

dogwasher

Reaction score
One of my DS 5000 units is making a knocking noise when it travels in one direction only and when it is driving up the arch. The knocking noise appears to be coming from the sprocket bearing area?

MEP001

Reaction score
It's more than likely the sprocket worn - do you have the HD chain or the regular stuff? With the HD stuff it will wear into every other sprocket, and you can bump it to the unworn one to get some more life out of it.

dogwasher

Reaction score
I do use the HD chain...actually we installed a complete new chain last night and still same noise.

MEP001

Reaction score
Look at the sprocket in the drive wheel.

It will run a lot smoother with standard chain, and it's less expensive.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Have you ever changed your sprocket? The heavy knocking noise went away for A few days and is back again now only when the gantry heads down the pole vertically on one end only.

MEP001

Reaction score
Did you ever look at the sprocket?

dogwasher

Reaction score
Yes it looks ok..but I'm not sure what it looked like new.

MEP001

Reaction score
When you run HD chain, the sprocket only engages every other tooth in the chain. It tends to make it bounce, and every other sprocket gap will get worn more. It gets even worse when the wheels get worn - if the edges are worn where they're completely rounded to fit the rails, you can disassemble the wheels and remove the spacer. If that's been done already, it's time to replace the wheel assembly.

dogwasher

Reaction score
Thanks MEP this is very helpful. I did notice the wheels have "slightly" started to form a groove in my stainless rails...this concerned me. I have not Removed a spacer I will ask my attendant if he noticed this spacer and to take it out.
I don't understand how the HD chain hits every other link but I'm going to take a close look so I understand what your telling me.