What's new

Drying Aid not working

HCCW

Reaction score
Has anyone else had a problem with thier drying aid suddenly not working anymore? I have been running the same drying aid in my in bay automatics for 10 years with no problem. Now it's not working at all and we can't dry the cars at all. We have checked all the equipment and run all the proper tests to make sure the wash is pulling the correct amount of chemical and applying it at the end of each wash.
Last week I switched to a drying aid from Blue Coral and same thing, it doesn't work. I am applying it at the rate the rep told me too. No difference.
What is going on? It has been cold here - we are in Utah - but I have never had that be a problem in past winters.
I am going to try a drying aid from JBS next week, but I have a feeling nothing is going to work.
Any advice out there??? Thanks, Jeanine

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Just a guess- are you sure the water is soft. It can't be all the drying agents. Try your Da's in a spray bottle see how they work.

briteauto

Reaction score
Did you have a recent tempereature change in your region? That can cause issues with drying.

I went through some drying aid issues a while back. I think I even posted on the forum for some help.

I wasn't satisfied with how things were going with what I had. I switched to a product that uses no mineral seal oil. It is a low pH product that does a superb job for me, and since there is no oil, I don't have any streaks or smears from build up on the windows, as some can cause. Keeps the wash cleaner, and has a great scent that stays on the car. By far the best product I have used, and I have had some "bigger" and more expensive name brands over the years.

It is called Shining Armor by Jobe. Jobe also has several other similar drying aids - some might be better suited for different operators and conditions. They are all available at Kleen Rite.

Good luck.

Mike

DavidM

Reaction score
You said that you checked to make sure it was pulling the proper amount of chemical; Did you check just the drying agent or your presoaks as well? If the pH is too high on the vehicle before applying drying agent, the drying agent doesn't have a chance of working.

David

John Racine

Chemical & Equipment Dist
Reaction score
Could you be possibly pulling another chemical along with the drying agent. You may have a stuck danfoss on a detergent and that is knocking down the drying agent.
What type of equipment?

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with true drying agents. However,

Someone has already mentioned ph on the car. Have you changed presoaks lately? Products will work much better if triple foam or second pass of presoak helps kill excess alkalinity on car.

I have heard many owners refer to DA getting too strong and quit working, so maybe dial it back some and see what happens.

Quality of reclaim water, including chlorination, can be a factor.

HCCW

Reaction score
Just a guess- are you sure the water is soft. It can't be all the drying agents. Try your Da's in a spray bottle see how they work.
I did check my water at all locations and it is showing the highest level of softness on the test strip. So my water is soft. I did try putting these products straight into a bottle and onto the windshield and still no effect. Thanks for the suggestions though, I am really struggling to figure this out. All ideas are appreciated. Jeanine

HCCW

Reaction score
Did you have a recent tempereature change in your region? That can cause issues with drying.

I went through some drying aid issues a while back. I think I even posted on the forum for some help.

I wasn't satisfied with how things were going with what I had. I switched to a product that uses no mineral seal oil. It is a low pH product that does a superb job for me, and since there is no oil, I don't have any streaks or smears from build up on the windows, as some can cause. Keeps the wash cleaner, and has a great scent that stays on the car. By far the best product I have used, and I have had some "bigger" and more expensive name brands over the years.

It is called Shining Armor by Jobe. Jobe also has several other similar drying aids - some might be better suited for different operators and conditions. They are all available at Kleen Rite.

Good luck.

Mike
Wow. Thank you! I am willing to try anything. I am going to order some right now.............

HCCW

Reaction score
You said that you checked to make sure it was pulling the proper amount of chemical; Did you check just the drying agent or your presoaks as well? If the pH is too high on the vehicle before applying drying agent, the drying agent doesn't have a chance of working.

David
I am SO GLAD to hear you say that. We switched to a new formula our soup manufacturer wanted us to try this fall. We love it. Cleans GREAT. But, we have wondered a couple times now if the drying aid problem could possibly be related to the new presoak. We didn't know how that could be possible, and now you just gave us some great information to get us started investigating that! I am going to get a drum of the old formula presoak and see what happens. Thank you so much and let me know if you think of anything else!!! Jeanine

Last edited:

HCCW

Reaction score
Could you be possibly pulling another chemical along with the drying agent. You may have a stuck danfoss on a detergent and that is knocking down the drying agent.
What type of equipment?
We did check for that and found no problems. I was already pretty sure that wasn't the problem since all of our locations have quit working. Thanks for the suggestion!

HCCW

Reaction score
have you titrated the drying agent to see if it is at proper titration. If drying agents are too strong or too weak they will not perform.
We just finished doing that last week and they are being applied at the maufacturers recommended amount per vehicle. (I did try running it higher at one of my washes and not only did it not work, the cars dried with white spots. Obviously I put on too much!!!)

HCCW

Reaction score
How do you titrate a drying agent. I have a titration kit for presoak. Who makes a kit for drying agents?
We simply put the drying aid line into a bottle of the drying aid that has the ounces marked on it. Then we check it the next day (we have a counter to see how many cars we washed) and then divide the cars washed by the ounces we used. So if your drying aid should be applied at 1/4 ounce per car, and you are applying it at 1/8 - you can up your amount.
You of course would have to askt he manufacturer of the Drying aid how much should be applied per vehicle.
Is that as clear as mud? I don't have a way with words. Let me know if that didn't make sense. Jeanine

HCCW

Reaction score
I don't have a tremendous amount of experience with true drying agents. However,

Someone has already mentioned ph on the car. Have you changed presoaks lately? Products will work much better if triple foam or second pass of presoak helps kill excess alkalinity on car.

I have heard many owners refer to DA getting too strong and quit working, so maybe dial it back some and see what happens.

Quality of reclaim water, including chlorination, can be a factor.
You know, we are really starting to suspect that is the problem. I just got off the phone with my soap guy and he said the new presoak they switched me to this fall is REALLY high ph. So tomorrow he is dropping off a drum of the old stuff we used to use. We'll see if the drying aid suddenly starts working again..........

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
if presoak is an issue, but it cleans better, there are other steps you can take. Try changing your second step to low ph, and/or your tricolor.

clean machine

Reaction score
What kind of equipment do you have. If the ph of the presoak has to much alkalinity you wont dry at all the water will just sheet on the car. Also instead of trying to make the drying agent stronger go ther other route and try making it weaker. Don't worry about soft water it has no affect on Drying agents just alkaline presoaks.

HCCW

Reaction score
if presoak is an issue, but it cleans better, there are other steps you can take. Try changing your second step to low ph, and/or your tricolor.
I don't have a second step or tricolor, but I do run a clear coat protectant. We are trying the old presoak today to see if the drying aid starts working again. If it does, at least we know what we are working with. Wish me luck.....

Etowah