What's new

Drive-Thru Dryers in our self service bays

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
My question is: Does anyone have drive thru dryers in their self service bays and how do they do?

I want to install a pair of “drive thru” oscillating top nozzles in our 35’ long four bay self-service wash.

• We use multi-function timers and have cash or credit card pricing of: $1=1 minute, $3 = 4 minutes, $5 = 8 minutes, $10 = 22 minutes
• If a cash customer spends at least $5 they get a free drive thru dryer
• All credit card customers get the free dryer because they have a minimum charge of $5
• We have large coin boxes with room for an illuminated push button. The push button will have instructions and will be flashing if they use a credit card or insert at least $5 cash or coin.
• The vehicle detection loop in the floor detects the vehicle and will help keep the push button flashing after they finish washing. They press the button and a single VFD can start them up at the same time and run then slow for 15 seconds while the customer gets in their car. They ramp up to full speed and the pedestal count down timer gives them another 60 seconds or so to drive thru and exit. We will have an eye at the exit to shut them off if they exit early.
• I think this will raise our gross per car, encourage credit card transaction (which bring in more revenue per car), dramatically improve the self service wash experience, and dry the car pretty well.
• Running two 15hp motors costs about 6 cents a minute at the most. (480 volts x 18 amps = 8,640 watts x 2 = 17,280 watts or 17.28 kw. On the high side power costs 20 cents per 1kw per hour. 17.28 kw x 20 cents = $3.46 per hour or 5.8 cents per minute.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
I have them in our existing bays and know from our computer system that they contribute between 4% - 8% of total time used by customers. That represents a small number of customers and requires a bit of effort. I think 75% of our credit card customers spend more than $5 already and probably 40%-50% of our cash customers spend more than $5. The drive-thru is easy to do and provides a dramatically improved washing experience in my opinion. But I could be wrong. ;)

JJJakubowski

Reaction score
"All that is old ..."

This kinda sorta in the same vein, Tom ---

I found this SS coin-op blow dryer in Nashville about 15 years ago. (Bill will post the photo soon. I wish we could simply attach photos directly, as we could once upon a time.)

Anyway, it had a dedicated, stand alone coin acceptor into which wand bay customers (after they had their way with wash/rinse services), would drive around to the blower bay, and deposit 4 quarters to start.

BTW --- some say Blow Dryers and Spot Free Rinse are almost "mutually exclusive". They may be more like "friendly competitors" . Or then again, a blow dry could be seen as the Finishing Touch after that Final Rinse.

JJJ/SSCWN

Last edited by a moderator:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I use to use the 4th option on my IBA for a SS dry only option. It never made a lot of money, but the people that figured it out, liked it.

I would be worried on a totally free standing one, blowing dirt or sand into someone's eye

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
That's why I'm going to start them up at low speed at first to give the customers time to get in their car. I could add a "Stop" button too. It needs to be in all four bays to get the most use. Putting a self service dryer on a vacuum island get very little use but putting them in every bay was a big improvement. It needs to be convenient to be successful.

MEP001

Reaction score
JJJakubowski said:
I wish we could simply attach photos directly, as we could once upon a time.
The quickest way to add a photo to your post is to upload it to an image hosting service (I use imageshack.us which is free) and paste the link provided right into your text.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Tom,

I thought about this same thing years ago. To me the set up in the picture from JJJakubowski seems to be the more economical way of doing it.

Do you think having only one set up in a bay as the picture from JJJakubowski would do the trick so anybody could potentially use the dryer bay?

Would it be cost effective to have them in all the bays, or maybe just two of the four?

If your bays are 35 feet long, why not give everyone the option to use the dryer with an extra coin box and button closer to the dryer itself? That way the customers that don't want the option who spend more than $5 wouldn't get blasted if they were not paying attention to the dryer.

If you did have the dryer start "because" the customer spent $5 or more, could you control the dryer to start when the customer moved "closer" the dryer itself instead of having the dryer automatically start, even at a slower speed for 15 seconds?

Just some thoughts........

I think it is a great idea however you accomplish it!

Mike C

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
Putting in a single bay is more economical for the owner but it won’t get the usage from the customers if it isn’t convenient.

I’m hoping that by offering it only if you use your credit card ($5 minimum) or spend at least $5 cash will raise the average revenue per customer visit.

The “Drying System Activate” flashing button must be pressed to start the drying system. Customer won’t get blasted plus as I mentioned it runs at a very low speed to allow them to put their goggles on, zip up their protective suit, save their children, and say a quick prayer before the hurricane starts.

I could add a vehicle detection loop in the floor to detect it and start it automatically but I think the customer pressing the flashing button is better. Turning it on slow gives them audible feedback. I will also make the light on the button turn on steady. I will also allow them to press it again to shut it off incase they just pressed it to play around. I could limit the number of times they mess with it too. The vehicle loop in the floor will cancel it so the next customer can’t use it.

Thanks for the comments.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I considered this too, but not in the bay, but a standalone coin operated unit in the lot. However too many issues complicated it (like needing heated floors, blowing dust around and voiding the need of having my air-shamees that I have already invested in and installed. The other issue is that I believe you'll take from some of your IBA users. I have some that will was their vehicle in the SS bays and spend for the minimum wash in my IBA to get the dryer.

Having said all this, I know you've done some good things in the past and so I'm interested in what this would look like and how it works out.

Big

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
Whoops. I forgot to mention that this is a ground up new site. It will have a 150' exterior tunnel (with a touchless option), 4 self service bays and bay 5 will have 3 dog washes in it. No IBA. The touchless option can be duplicated pretty closely in the tunnel. Having said that I've probably opened a can of worms (treads) that could last for years.
BTW, I love your picture.

thoffmanjr

Reaction score
12 position rotary switch with: Bug Remover, Wheel Scrubbing Brush, Engine Degreaser, Presoak, High Pressure Soap (1000 psi or 1400 psi), Foam Brush, High Pressure Rinse (1000 psi or 1400 psi), Spray Wax, Triple Foam Wax, and Spot Free Rinse. We use variable frequency drives and an illuminated push button to allow the customers to choose a power boost feature for rinse and soap. I have a spare selection since I'm not going to have an "Air Dryer" selection. Motor cycles will miss it so I'm wonder if I should have one bay with it.

BILL

Reaction score
This is exactly what I would like to do. I own a six bay SS. One of the bays is not being use for anything. I have been shopping e-bay looking for a used stand alone dryer. I have seen a few but I'm not sure what additional equipment I would need. Does anyone make a simple pay station where a customer could put in a couple of bucks push a button and the dryer starts. I'm not interested in credit card payment. Any help or advise with this project would be greatly appreciated. I'm not a car wash guru I Would have the equipment installed by someone that understands electricity, once again I don't know what all is needed for this operation. Thanks, Bill

jimbeaux

Reaction score
I know you have done some remarkable innovations @ your carwashes and have taken the time to help some of us in the past with questions we (myself) have had. Thanks for that. Would these dryers be totally inside the bay or would they be outside at the exit end? My concern would be blowing sand/dirt/trash etc. Also, have you figured the payback considering the cost of the equipment? Interesting concept.

BILL

Reaction score
jimbeaux
Thank for getting back with me. My dryer would be completely inside the bay near the exit end. Considering the payback I hope to do this project for about $15,000. The way I'm thinking is I have five ss bays and if I install the dryer in my sixth bay, that is currently not being used, a number of the customers would want to drive through the dryer to complete their wash job. If I charge $3.00 for the dryer and only ten customers a day use this service my pay back would be less than eighteen months, after that I'm making money. Does this sound reasonable or am I pipe dreaming? As far as purchasing the equipment my biggest concern is finding a simple inexpensive pay station., say one that excepts bills only and controls the dryer only. I'm looking at a new dryer that is made in New York and sells for $7,200. The add says for an additional $585.00 I can purchase a control package that includes motor starters and thermal overloads wired with wall mounted enclosure. All I have to do is connect my power source, wire the motors to the box (and this is where I get especially lost) connect leads from my processor. What is a processor?