What's new

drive motor

txheat

Reaction score
replace both drive motors today. The installer told me first to go to grainger to pickup a replacement motor for baldor drive motor.

Dayton 6WY31 Wash down motor ($400 something i forgot)

Unfortunately they didnt have any in stock so i had to run to JC pickup baldor drive motor.

JC baldor is $525.

dpessler

Reaction score
Check out texas car wash supply. They have a stainless motor for $309
Doug

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I just installed the Marathon SS drive motor from Texas Car Wash supply today for my WW 1.0. Before I pay the extra $90 for a replacement SS motor I was wondering if these lasted as long or longer than the regular Baldor wash down motors that I have been using. Any experience in this are would help me decide which motor to buy. I seem to be getting averaging around 20-25k washes before replacement on the regular Baldor wash down motors.
Thanks,
Buzzie

MEP001

Reaction score
What is failing in the motors you've been using? The bearings and inners (except for the shaft) are the same between them.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Here is the process I go through. The wash usually shuts down with a VF drive error. I usually know which motor is causing the VF error. By how old and by how warm it is. I pull the suspect motor and test it with a meg tester. The tester says "bad" which leads me to believe it's the windings. In the past I have taken the motors to a local Baldor dealer and they have told me they were not worth rewinding. From your post, I am assuming there is no value to the Stainless motor in that they will have the same windings, correct? I can save $90 by ordering a non-stainless from Baldor vs the stainless from Marathon.

MEP001

Reaction score
Right, the windings are the same. Even the flanges are the same, both aluminum. I started to order stainless gearbox motors for the Vector because the C-face mount of the motor would corrode, but saw that it would have been a waste of money.

txheat

Reaction score
can you elaborate on the Meg tester which test motor and output say "bad"?
I hear grinding noise from the top brush drive motor when it lowers the brush but when it raises brush no grinding noise. I cant tell if it is the motor or the gear box.

vinh

Reaction score
Cheaper at amazon

I bought this tester at Grainger. Pretty simple just attach one lead on the body of motor and the other on one of the various leads and it will test the windings. Couple good youtube videos on how to use. Watch you can get zapped!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/SUPCO-Battery-Operated-Megohmmeter-3T105?Pid=search
Never by from grainger if you can get it from Amazon. I had prime ($75/yearly membership) account so get free 2 day shipping. I am buying more tools and supplies from Amazon than local hardware store now.

http://www.amazon.com/Supco-M500-In...=1380426253&sr=8-1&keywords=supco+megohmmeter

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I don't think a ss motor is any better, don't you think motors burn up from the inside.?
I was thinking the same thing. I did like however that the SS one I just installed had condensation drains on each side of the motor. The guy at Texas Car Wash Supply said that they were getting better results form the SS motors they have been selling. However, the other non-SS they sell is not a Baldor. Not that I am fan of Baldor but all the other wash down motors I have used have been Baldors.

Reaction score
I bought a Dayton from grainger, it is a wash down with drains on each end, not any cheaper then JC or anyone else just easier to get from the store.

txheat

Reaction score
Try Texas Car Wash Supply. Better prices on a lot of Coleman parts.
i can vouch for that great pricing... and wall cleaner that restore my SS gantry like new again.

Buzzie, i ordered that meg meter should be coming anytime now. I got a question, do you test the motor still mounted ? if so you turn all power off from the breaker or take wirings out of motor to test?

Reaction score
The last one I bought was from Grainger, I used it and just ordered one off amazon, $200 cheaper then grainger. Wash down but not stainless.