What's new

Drive Motor?

dpessler

Reaction score
Do you have to buy the Water Wizard drive motor from Coleman? If not where can I get them?

Thanks!
Doug

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
I have not been able to find a source other than coleman ,so I have mine rebuilt by a electrical shop that is a Baldor dealer.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Baldor CWDM3538 Last one I bought was about $350 have four of them installed all working with no problems (knock on wood), some for three years. Considered a wash down motor.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Buzzie,
Can you buy these from Baldor dealer ?

Dealer here said Baldor would not sale to him because of being an OEM.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Yes, but you can't use the JCC #. My dealer did research to see what else Baldor manufactured that would work for me and this is what he come up with (see the part number above). They are identical in my opinion and I know my JCC distributor used one of these at least once.

Reds

Reaction score
I had 2 drive motors get wet in a flood last week. Are motors that run on a VFD different than everyday motors? I noticed that my drive motors say "Inverter" motor on the tag. I looked on the Baldor website and inverter motors were in a different category than washdown motors. I want to order 2 of these motors but am concerned that they will give me trouble down the road. You have one that's been running for 3 years without trouble?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
P.S. - I have no idea what an inverter is.
An inverter is also called a Variable Frequency Drive(VFD)

As far as I have been told is ---- an inverter motor is one that will not get too hot if runs at sustained low speeds. The insulation on the windings tends to be better. Also it needs to be made for 3 phase operation.

Having said that I am sure some inverter motors are better quality than others. Baldor tends to be very reputable. I have never heard of an inverter motor not being able to be used for normal 3 phase operation without an inverter --- because it exceeds the necessary specifications. There might be an exception that that out there --- with some type of servo motor or whatever.

About the flood & getting them wet ---- I was told water can damage the insulation on some motors even if they are allowed to dry out before running --- whether that applies to yours --- I am not sure. The bearings might have been ruined from the flood also. An electric motor shop should be able to inspect them for problems before start up.

I have been able to match frame sizes in the past to get by when it comes to replacing. Some motors are OEM & then the manufacturer who built it ---- might not sell direct except through the OEM who actually designed the portion relating to the mounting or whatever special characteristic it might have.

I know some other operators have experience with inverters more so than myself --- so hopefully --- Tom Hoffman --- or someone similar can shed light on this also.

Keep us posted on how you come out --- especially on the flood ramification.

mike walsh king koin of bismarck

Buzzie8

Reaction score
Baldor CWDM3538 Look and act exactly the same as the JCC factory motor. I have four of them installed and one on the shelf. No problems with any of the replacements so far. About three years for the longest one. Wish I could find a replacement for the oscillating motors.

Reds

Reaction score
I took 2 of my drive motors apart, washed them, then "baked" them in front of a propane torpedo heater for 6 hours. bearings were sealed bearings and seemed to be quiet and clean. Put the motors back in and the WW is running fine. I ran them first before bolting them to the drive gearboxes and they were nice and quiet. I have 2 more to do and 2 wheel scrub motors to do. I thought I would just replace the drive motors if I can get them for @ $350. Then I could clean up the 2 wet motors and keep them for backups. The motor shop charged me $200 apiece for small (1/2 hp) motors and $600 each for my 25hp pump motors. The wheel scrub motors are going to be my biggest problem to deal with because they are scarce right now. Regarding flood damage, I pulled almost all of my electronics before the water came up and only had some wet motors to deal with. Along with a big cleanup job. I am going to take some preventative measures in case the water ever rises like this again. 2 days after the water went down I had my SS bays open. 2 days after that one IBA open. I will have the second IBA open in a few more days.

Reds

Reaction score
Baldor CWDM3538 Look and act exactly the same as the JCC factory motor. I have four of them installed and one on the shelf. No problems with any of the replacements so far. About three years for the longest one. Wish I could find a replacement for the oscillating motors.
I am going to order 2 of them first thing Monday morning.

vinh

Reaction score
Coleman motor are rated Class H and the Baldor CWDM3538 is rated class F. Class H has better insulating temperature so technically should last longer.