What's new

Dream List of Stuff

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Answer the following question, knowing that you only get one opportunity to go to the well; one all-inclusive wish list! :D

If you were equipping a brand new high-tech detail facility in an ideal high-volume location, and you had an "angel" willing to fund your every justifiable request, specifically WHAT WOULD BE ON YOUR LIST? :confused:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hot water carpet extractor. ozone machine. steamer. wet dry vacs. B&D rotary buffer. Gem orbital. rubbermaid carts for vacs and supplies. air compressor. a/c for shop. great, hi-efficiency fluorescent lighting. rainwater harvesting system for laundry and toilet. coffee station, nice office chairs and computer for office. flat screen tv for customers who wait. crown moulding and chair rail in office. floor mats for comfy kneeling and standing between vehicles. chem dispense mixing station. quality metal air-chargeable sprayers. ladders and step stools. rolly stool. full selection of window and body towels as well as applicators. fireproof cabinets for supplies. good array of touch up paints. good array of vinyl pinstriping. full craftsman tool set w/roll away box. floor jack and jackstands. gas can. battery jump pack. lock out kit. 3/8" drill w/bits and Wurth wheel.

plus a nice ss carwash next door to wash and prep the cars.:D

I have almost all of this already!:D That's why I'm always so darn happy.:eek:

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Bought another item on my 'dream list of stuff'. A 12' fiberglass stepladder.

Even Tim "the Toolman" Taylor would be envious! Arrr arrr arrrr!!!!!

soapy

Reaction score
I would suggest a little giant ladder with a scafold plank. I bought the new lightweight designed ladder at the last ICA convention. I get a ladder that will convert to a straight ladder up to 20 feet and with the scafold I can make a 5 foot high working platform to buff motorhomes and tall vehicles. I have had the older heavier designed one for a few years and I can bring it over and make the scafold 10 feet high if needed. I found another used detail plus detailer that I am buying. It really streamlines things.

DavidM

Reaction score
I know this is an older post but I've been thinking about the idea of a "dream shop"

A good shop is designed with efficiency in mind. Ideally, everything needed is located close by For example, heated carpet extractor: not only would I need one but in a dream shop, it would be built into the shop, central vac style not a portable on wheels. Also, central vac, an air compressor with air dryer and drops on both sides of vehicles. All of the common chemicals plumbed this way as well. (Eurovac has a pretty nice looking setup for this kind of thing)

Ozone Machine, Vapor Steamer (at least 1 per bay), Random orbit polishers (probably the Flex or Cyclo machine, although the PC does well too)

Color coded microfiber towels for interior detailing, wax removal, vehicle drying.

Electrical drops from the ceiling for plugging in tools and lights. Skylights and more fluorescent lights on the walls and ceilings than necessary.

Ladders, stools, rolling seats as mentioned.

High end waiting area - tile floors (easy cleanup), quality furniture, kids play area (mom is happier when the kids are content) wi-fi and TV.
Office with view of shop and waiting area

Work cart for each employee (holds towels, loose detailing tools, ie brushes, craft sticks, spray bottles for products not plumbed in, scrapers etc.

A system to track and communicate with customers.

If I were really able to do this, I would spend more time researching specifics. I may actually do that to some extent because I think we can learn from an exercise like this. It helps take our shops to the next level.

Of course the angel will want a return so we need to have a good market for a high end shop and a good team willing to perform excellent quality details. Speaking of my team, I think a nice employee break room would be valuable. Microwave, refrigerator, sink, coffee pot, coat rack, comfortable seating.

May I ask, Steve, why the question?

DavidM

Reaction score
I didn't mention anything about the wash part of the process. Our shop is fortunate enough to have a flex serve tunnel on site which is great. I don't know what I do for a wash bay at a standalone detail shop.

David

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I prefer free standing vacs and extractor so I can wheel them out to the carwash to clean them; plus I can detail a bigger vehicle that will not fit into the shop; many boats, Peterbilts, etc. need the extractor to be dragged outside and used in the parking lot. I do this all the time at my place.

A streamlined work environment is ideal, but not at the expense of flexibility when needed!:D

And I love the idea of a waiting room that's 'all decked out', but I can see employee abuse of the amenities a potential problem, even where you have a 'designated' employee break room.

buda

Reaction score
STATE of the ART DETAIL CENTRE

If a detailer were building a state of the art detailing center they might want to consider the following equipment:

15HP Air Compressor with belt-guard aftercooler; auto tank drain, low-oil shutdown & mag starter
Remote Mounted "On-Demand" Pressure Wash System with 360 degree ceiling boom
Remote-Mounted Automatic Chemical Dilution & Dispensing Center
Wall Mounted Wash Bay Chemical Dispensers for 5 chemicals
CHEMSPENSE Work Stations that dispense up to 12 chemical; contain a wet-dry vacuum; heated soil extractor and air lines. (number depends on number of bays)
Detailing Work Carts for towels; pads; tools; garbage; dirty towels
Safety Step Stools
Air Rotary Buffer
Air Dual Action Buffer
Air Mini Orbital Waxer
Air Rotary Shampooer
Vapor Steamer
4 Types of Cutting & Polishing Pads
Misc Brushes
Micro Fiber Towels for Water & Wax; Windows; Chemical
Min. 15 Different Chemicals

This would give a detailer an operation that would be liken to an operating room theater with complete organization.

NOTE of CAUTION - do not try to convince an experienced detail to work in such an equipped shop. We have numerous locations where the absentee owner purchased the equipment for his experienced detailing staff and they destroyed the equipment in less than 3 months prefering to use heavy electric buffers; squeeze and spray bottles for chemicals they could take home for weekend detailing and a disorganized shop that allowed them to sluff off.

Regards

DavidM

Reaction score
"A streamlined work environment is ideal, but not at the expense of flexibility when needed!"

That is a good point but I would counter that in a high volume shop that flexibility would come at the expense of efficiency. A portable machine requires moving it around, emptying and filling tanks, and dealing with cords. That time wasted can be used detailing. I would rather have a portable on site in addition to the main system for the occasional vehicle that doesn't fit inside rather than deal with a portable all the time in case an RV comes in.

Of course this is a dream, currently we do not resemble this at all. We use portables exclusively. But I wish I didn't have to.