What's new

Downstreaming chem in underbody?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Conveyor washes have used rustproofing for as long as I can remember, so what is wrong with adding it to underbody flush>

If there is a product that will even somewhat-effectively neutralize magnesium and calcium chloride better than water alone as well as leave a temporary film, I fail to see a downside. I still want to pursue it further because based on what I read it is warranted and pure water is insufficient.

Sudzie

Reaction score
For the past 20+yrs we have used only med psi /med volume fresh water. When we first started out we did use several types of "Rust Inhibitor" until I did this experiment. Take a pad of steel wool, soak it in the Rust Inhibitor and see if it is rusty in the morning? Even put it in a plastic bag over night, didn't help.

When I see a product that will past this test Ill switch until then I'll stick with plain'o water.

Still looking for the best method for our customers.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Conveyor washes have used rustproofing for as long as I can remember, so what is wrong with adding it to underbody flush>

If there is a product that will even somewhat-effectively neutralize magnesium and calcium chloride better than water alone as well as leave a temporary film, I fail to see a downside. I still want to pursue it further because based on what I read it is warranted and pure water is insufficient.
Rustproofing would be the opposite of your original question. You started this thread asking about spraying acid on the bottoms of customer's car without a subsequent rinse or neutralization. That is bad. Rustproofing, however, would probably be good. Rustproofing would probably not clean magnesium or calcium chloride better which was the subject of your original question.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Rustproofing would be the opposite of your original question. You started this thread asking about spraying acid on the bottoms of customer's car without a subsequent rinse or neutralization. That is bad. Rustproofing, however, would probably be good. Rustproofing would probably not clean magnesium or calcium chloride better which was the subject of your original question.
Maybe I am looking for a product that doesn't exist.