What's new

Door Problem Again.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I replaced a Raynor center-pull operator for my IBA entry door last year with a Liftmaster that is mounted beside the door.

Nothing but problems since installing Liftmaster. Now it has a bad bearing and the limit switches are not working properly.

It is under warranty, but getting an answer is near impossible.

If I wind up replacing this unit, what should I get?

I feel personally that the center pull Raynor operator worked better, even though it was not properly speced for a carwash and had problems due to water exposure.

Should I switch back to a better center pull overhead operator w/t.e.f.c. motor and waterproof box?

Thanks!:confused:

Reaction score
You could always extend the shaft and mount the operator in the equipment room away from all the water. That should cure the problem if getting wet is the problem with the operator

Reaction score
What model liftmaster do you have ? I have had good luck with liftmaster I think they have a 2 year warranty on some of them. Who did you get the liftmaster from, have you tried calling liftmaster

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I'm unfamiliar with the door opener you mention, but would it be possible to fasten together some type of stainless steel shield around the opener to block as much water from it as possible?

Reaction score
Dont no that model number but they may have changed them, Can you move the operator into the equipment room i think it will work much better if it is dry and its not that hard to do

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got the warranty issue figured out (found sales slip from installer in my manual envelope); set to receive a new one.

Question; If the operator is moved inside my e.r., how do you couple the existing shaft and extension shaft together? Seems like that point could be a problem.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
We have 4 American garage doors with operators inside equipment room. shafts are connected with couplings--the shafts are well supported and aligned near coupling and have been trouble free. These are commercial units and the installer seemed to know what he was doing. We had problems early on with tracks freezing but installed 4 ft strip heaters and that solved the overnight freezing problems. We got that tip from forum member. Now we only have to worry anout customers hitting doors--which has happened several times.

Ted

Reaction score
As Ted said it in no more than a shaft with a coupler and some suports with bearings, not hard at all to do and i dont think its a budget breaker

soapy

Reaction score
Putting the operators in the equipment room is the best way to go. By the coupler you should have a bearing plate on each side to support it. I have one location that has been running this way for 17 years with very few problems. If you can't put them in the equipment room and need an electric opener liftmaster makes a model EGJ that uses a sealed motor attached to a gear box that slides over the shaft of the door. There are no chains or belts to get wet and so far they have worked great.