What's new

Door Openers

Reds

Reaction score
I have doors on my IBA that use air openers with belts. In the winter I have trouble with ice buildup on my doors adding weight to the doors, plus the cylinders are right inside the jamb so they get cold and ice up. I keep my bays at 38? but still have an icing problem on the outside of the doors and on the cylinders. Belt jumping and slow doors are a constant problem when the temps get into the single digits or below zero. I have been planning on using some Winterguard Wet heat cable wrapped around the openers and then insulation over that to help with the cylinder icing. Does anyone have any coldweather experience with the Airlift Door Co. Magnaglide opener? It mounts above the door and attaches directly to the door, eliminating belts. It's also higher up in the bay, where it should be considerably warmer than down where the air cylinders are mounted. Thanks in advance for any input

randy64

Reaction score
I think they are the magnaglide is a great door opener. Of the ones I service I've never had to do anything other than routine maint. I Highly recommend them. Just so you know we are an Airlift Dist. I also like RYKO'S Bi-fold door but they are much more maintenance intensive, but they do open and close very quickly.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
I am in a colder climate in ND, and the magna glides are tough to beat, Mine i think are about 3.5 yrs old. Just keep the shafts clean, and the air dry, and they should work great. Mine are horizontal mount so they stay cleaner, no jumped cables with the counterweights , or problems so far. Pay the extra amount and get the door timers that close the doors after they leave, or enter.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
My belts have a big pvc pipe over the belt side most of the way up. I assume that is to prevent icing.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
My belts have a big pvc pipe over the belt side most of the way up. I assume that is to prevent icing.
I assume that is to just cover the ugly counterweight and to give birds a place to nest. I took my PVC pipes off and shortened them to where the weight would just barely come out the top with the door closed. Hopefully this may dump out any nest that may be built.

Etowah