What's new

door issues/questionss

Reds

Reaction score
I have ultimate doors on my IBA's and have trouble with them every winter - slow opening, jumping teeth on the belt, and freezing down. I drain the water out of the regulator/filter in the bay every day, and also have drains at the bottom of the cylinders which are drained every day. But my doors are slow, the belts are squeeking, and they just don't work well. Has anyone tried the Airlift Magnaglide door opener? I am thinking of trying one, or maybe converting to chain drive doors. I would prefer to get rid of the air cylinders rather than just switch from belts to chains. The magnaglide would get a bath everytime the UC was running, so I wonder if it would hold up. Any suggestions or info on the magnaglide or any other openers? Thanks for any input.

washme1

Reaction score
I have Airlift Magnaglides on my IBA. They work well but still have issues when temp falls below 10 degrees much like yours, slow, sometimes stick. I believe Airlift has a model that uses counter balance weights to assist the operation however I did not have adequate height in my bay to utilize them. I have to believe they would work better.

soapy

Reaction score
I have chain drive operators and I also have problems in the winter. I do not think their is a fool proof solution for doors in winter. If you do go with a jack shaft door operator it is best to mount them out of the wash bay and in the equipment room. Extend a shaft through the wall to operate the door.

Dirt

Laser Blade
Reaction score
I have Ultimates too. You have to make sure the aluminum shaft is straight, and keep squirting WD 40 on the plastic bearings. All of them, middle and each end. The belt. Keep it tight. Tighter then you think it should be, like piano wires. Freezing to the ground. Haven't figured that one out, yet.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Man I hear you guys!

Soapy has given the best advice I have seen as far as heat tapes and what type/how to install specifically.

I have an attendant on my busy days to help babysit things.

I cannot imagine the revenue that would be lost w/out my attendant and doors in the winter months are a main focal point of daily carwashing.

My NEMA 4 jackshaft operator still has issues when stuff freezes. I will be installing a cover this week for my entry side operator even thought it is NEMA4.

I also intend to install Raytheon self regulating heat tapes to the rails of the entry door as soon as I am able.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
I have Ultimates too. You have to make sure the aluminum shaft is straight, and keep squirting WD 40 on the plastic bearings. All of them, middle and each end. The belt. Keep it tight. Tighter then you think it should be, like piano wires. Freezing to the ground. Haven't figured that one out, yet.
-4 today in Pittsburgh. I have Ultimate Doors too. I spent over $500 trying to get them up to snuff last month. Still slow. Not many problems with the belt. One thing that does work on real cold days. I spread salt kind of thick where door meets concrete. Works well but probably no good for concrete. Need to pay the mortgage even on the coldest days!

PS. Ultimate is giving me a hard time about living up to their so called ten year warranty. Most of the parts I found out were covered but they will not commit one way or another after two phone calls.