What's new

Door Closes on car....

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
I recieved a call this morning...the woman was very nice about things. She explained that she washed and the door came down on her car. It shot back up immediately but did leave some marks, and maybe a dent.

I say to stop by and we will see what needs to be done. I check my video aaannnnndddd....she pulls out of the blower (and the door) and then reverses back in the bay. She was over half way out of the door and backed right back in (unblocking the photo eyes). I assume to get the last 3 seconds of blower she missed BUT this left the photo eyes unblocked and when the blower stops the door comes down. Usually people are blocking those eyes and the door doesn't move. 2 years with these doors on this bay and never had this happen.

My instinct is to say that it is unfortunate but not my problem. When a door opens you go out or stay in...but you don't mess around in the doorway.

If you have a minute please let me know your opinions...all input is appreciated.

A.J.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
My input isn't on how to handle the situation with the customer. I would suggest putting a delay timer in place between when your blower shuts down and the door close initiates. I have my PLC check all things in the auto before it shuts a door, such as photo eyes, treadle switches, etc.. If any of those items have "triggered", then the delay timer is reset for another countdown.

To me, it's not that important to get a door closed right after a customer leaves, I wait some minutes before shutting. However, that could just be me being overly cautious. Good luck with the customer, hope the damage, if there is any, can be removed with a paintless dent removal service.

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
Gotcha...if the eye would have been blocked like any other time, it would have stayed up for a minute and a half. An it would keep doing that until it was clear to go down.

Thanks for you response...I do hope the damage is minimal. If it is reasonable I will probably fix it no matter who is to blame. I may get a customer for life that way!

soapy

Reaction score
I have a sign at the exit door of every IBA stating to drive forward through the dryer. DO NOT BACKUP I have seen many times were a car will back into a door that has already shut, trailer hitches catching a door because they back up or stop just outside of door, people backing up to get all the dry time and back into another car etc. etc. It is best to cover yourself.

ted mcmeekin

Fast and Clean
Reaction score
We had similar case. Installed extra set of eyes wired direct to door operator. Any time eyes are blocked it sends immediate open command regardless of door position and independent of door control plc.

Ted

pitzerwm

Reaction score
IMO since the eyes should have been blocked when she was actually in the openning it should have reversed direction. In this case, I'd fix the car and revamp the eyes. Being happy that it didn't do more damage, like she panicked and tore the door off.

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
imho, you have to decide whether you are going to fix it or not BEFORE you find out how much it will cost. if you feel responsible, fix it and move on, if you dont, dont fix it. how can one reasonably tell a customer, i'm responsible if its cheap, you're responsible if it is expensive?

Red Baron

Reaction score
I dunno if I agree Chad, although I understand the principle. I had a lady who thought my dryers bent her wiper blade. I intended to tell her it didn't after veiwing the video, but the new blade was only $14 and I wasn't going to risk a confrontation over $14.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
As luck goes, if it happens to one , it will happen to the second one even sooner, and be more costly. In my case it didn't hurt the old truck, but i lost a door section. I removed the loop detector that shut the door and went to eyes on the door that turn the blower off and close the door but if they would back up the blower may shut off but the door will reverse and stay open as long as it is blocked. This i thought was necessary as i thought a kid could have gotten hurt by my old system without the eyes. I also installed cameras in that area.

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
Thank you for all the info...very well thought out and just what I needed. Pitzerwm...you are right about the blocked eyes should have stopped the door, and they would have if she hadn't raced under a closing door. I was impressed at how lightly it touched the car and shot back up. I am pretty certain I have made my decision and will let you all know how it unfolds.

A sincere thanks to all who commented.

A.J.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Actually, if she "raced" under the closing door, it didn't "pop" back up, it was just reversing because she broke the eyes, and just happened to touch the car.

ToFarGone20

Reaction score
If I lean over the eyes (without breaking the beam) and I catch that door on the way down it will shoot right back up. It had enough momentum to land on the car even before the eyes could get it stopped. Its obviously not a perfect system and will require some time and effort to correct.

I need to plan for all situations...even the strangest (including improper use of equipment, i.e. backing up in the blowers).