What's new

Dollar Coins as Common as Quarters Process

chaz

Reaction score
Speaking of dollar coins....
My auto, s/s, and 3 of 8 vacs currently accept bills, quarters, dollar coins, and c/c (oops.... c/c not on vacs) My other vacs and vendor take bills and quarters. My changer takes 1,5,10 and 20's and dispenses quarters. Vac start is $1, s/s start is $3

Thoughts on switching changer to dispense dollar coins. I would still allow quarters on all equipment. What concerns if I do not add Multi coin to the other 5 vacs. My thoughts on the change to dollar coins, less filling the hopper for non customers needing laundry change and easier to insert 3 coins not 12 for s/s. Also I guess folks might add an extra dollar instead of a quarter or two for more s/s time

Thanks

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
“Robert, your statistics are revealing. I guarantee you ... that the reality of the lack of proper availability of the dollar coins since the year 2000 has not helped the self service car wash cause any. It has been even more disastrous for the self service Laundromat industry.”

Evidence, Mike.

Most sources, except Laundromat association, find the Laundromat industry has been in decline for the past decade.

More household washers/dryers (also rent-to-own) as well as drop-off in pick-up laundry and dry-cleaning has resulted in industry revenue decreasing at average annual rate of 1.1%.

Laundromats and dry cleaners have faced escalating utility costs that have reduced profit margins for the industry.

As a result, the number of operators has decreased at an average annual rate of 2.4% from an estimated 30,000 to 21,800.

Please present something besides emotion that suggests how coins can change this trajectory.

Quite frankly, coin argument will grow even weaker with proliferation of mobile payment.

Mobile is smart phone equipped with app and Mashable technology that allows credit payment by “touching” the phone case against a small device attached to kiosk or POS.

Remember cell phones are ubiquitous, kids and people on welfare have them, and smart phone is next.

Stuart

Reaction score
since the Golden dollar coin had been around I have dispensed them in my changers. I also dispense $1 tokens from my changers. In all of my equipment I accept the $ coin, Token & quarters. I am still at $1 to start and $3 min CC charge.

In 2010 I added CC acceptance in all SS bays, automatic bay and a few select vacuums. Though I do not keep track of $ coin vs token vs qtr percentages , my sales on CC are 15% to 20% of gross sales.

I am sure I could give a good unscientific estimate that at least 95% of my customers have a Credit Card in their pocket and approx. 75% of them choose cash as their convenient method of payment.
IMO, I believe the $ coin would gain ground and acceptance if businesses would bite the bullet and start using the $ coin instead of waiting for the coin to gain acceptance. Acceptance of anything is usually gained through use and an item never used gains dust.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
“Robert, your statistics are revealing. I guarantee you ... that the reality of the lack of proper availability of the dollar coins since the year 2000 has not helped the self service car wash cause any. It has been even more disastrous for the self service Laundromat industry.”

Evidence, Mike.

Most sources, except Laundromat association, find the Laundromat industry has been in decline for the past decade.
No offense Robert, but what are those "most sources" & the census or data gathering methodology that they used to arrive at that extremely low in comparison figure of 21.8K. I am sure that the CLA is prepared to defend their figure (35K) vs the possible "hearsay" from less factual sources. Better journalistic practice is at stake! http://www.coinlaundry.org/contact-us/about-the-self-service-laundry-industry/

mike walsh king koin USA

MEP001

Reaction score
No offense Robert, but what are those "most sources" & the census or data gathering methodology that they used to arrive at that extremely low in comparison figure of 21.8K. I am sure that the CLA is prepared to defend their figure (35K) vs the possible "hearsay" from less factual sources. Better journalistic practice is at stake! http://www.coinlaundry.org/contact-us/about-the-self-service-laundry-industry/

mike walsh king koin USA
Aspergers, man, look it up. Putting "hearsay" in quotes like you did is one of the solid indicators.