What's new

Dogwash Rates

easywash

Reaction score
Hi, just wondering how you guys are charge for your dogwashes? By the minute? if so how much?

Thanks

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
EasyWash,

Price point is $5 minimum for 7 minutes with 10% bonus for Tues thru Thurs. There is a 60 second grace period.

In my last post in response to Bubbles I was more thorough in my answer.

What kind of coin meters are you using?

Mike

bigleo48

Reaction score
Easywash

I'm 70 cents/min with a $5 minimum. But in your neck of the woods I would charge closer to $1/min $10 minimum.

Didn't you guys have an automatic petwash? When I go to your webpage, I see the dogwash clipart in the corner, but it's not listed in your services. Did you get rid of it?

I looked at the automatic, but couldn't see how it could make more money than the SS tubs. I canvased a few customers and none were interested (but that's without seeing it).

Big

easywash

Reaction score
Easywash Automated Dogwash

Yes, we did have one of the Automated Petspa Units but it kept breaking down... it was down for nearly 5 months at one point. Completely unreliable.

From a customer service perspective we just could not justify keeping it... That said it did on average about $2K a month in gross rev.

We are now installing 2 self service tubs. We have 2 National Pride wall mount equipment boxes and Petlift AquaQuest 48 Tubs.

http://petlift.com/product.php?productid=8&cat=2&page=1

My thoughts on pricing was $1 a minute with a $5 minimum but I think you are right I could easily do a $10 minimum.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'd be careful about a $10 startup. seems high to me. just an instinctual feeling i have, not based on facts. however, keep in mind that the startup price to wash a whole car in ss is typically $2. not that you can necessarily (though some do) wash a whole car in a $2 cycle, but perception of value is tricky and i would think $5 was adequate and that you'd probably net just as much annually with a $5 start as opposed to $10.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Waxman,

I am confident that a $10 startup and perhaps $1/min in his market (Vancouver) is fine. That includes HST :( , our new value added tax of 13%.

I think what Easywash will find that the average pet wash will be around $10 and that's a nice round number and certainly cheaper than a groomer. As long as there isn't stiff competition.

Easywash has a really nice spot and good service....he should charge for it.

Big

easywash

Reaction score
it makes me cringe

I gotta say every time I hear $2 to start I cringe... I was looking at a 5/2 carwash the other day that had their autos priced at 9,13,16,18 and their self service at $2 to start (4 min) ....

Where do you think all their traffic went?

Spend millions on your site then charge $2 to start... Their site is cannibalizing itself :(

The economics of that just don't work up here.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Easywash,

That 5/2 pricing is stupid. As a SS/IBA owner, I am keenly aware of my pricing not to cannibalize one for the other. With his pricing, he is anything but neutral and is pushing his customers to the SS bays !?!? But you know that...
He should be in the $3 to start for about 4 Minutes (or less) to be balanced between his IBAs & SS bays

Waxman...you need to remember he is in Vancouver...it's a very different market out there! Kinda like California 20 years ago.

Big

pitzerwm

Reaction score
When you don't understand what it cost you to product your product or service, you are either screwing yourself or screwing your customer, neither is a good plan.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Bigleo I am looking at installing one dogwash in my express tunnel (converted full service) waiting room.
I was thinking about charging $10 for an unlimited petwash/dry.
The customer would pay at the wash paystation for the petwash, which is visible right across the bay so we could monitor the customer.
What do you think?
Do you have one wash tub or more?

easywash

Reaction score
Screwing the customer?

When you don't understand what it costs you to product your product or service, you are either screwing yourself or screwing your customer, neither is a good plan.
I agree with the first part that if you charge too little you are screwing yourself.

But I disagree with the second part.

Ultimately if you charge too much you are also screwing yourself (not your customer). If the customer doesn't like your price they will buy somewhere else.

But then again the vast majority of customers don't buy on price. They buy on emotion ;)

bigleo48

Reaction score
Bigleo I am looking at installing one dogwash in my express tunnel (converted full service) waiting room.
I was thinking about charging $10 for an unlimited petwash/dry.
The customer would pay at the wash paystation for the petwash, which is visible right across the bay so we could monitor the customer.
What do you think?
Do you have one wash tub or more?
Mustang,

Don't underestimate the cost of chemicals. Also on busy days you'll have trouble moving people along. Hook up a coinbox...it will be much simpler IMHO.

Big

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
It looks like all said and done, we can put our dog wash in for about $15k open for business. With the rates you guys are talking about compared to the amount of traffic your sites see...would a 12 month or less ROI seem reasonable?

I know that each site is different, but just do a little guesstimating!

Thanks!

bigleo48

Reaction score
Bubbles,

If the dog wash is a new thing in your area it may take a little long to recoup your costs. With something new it always takes a while to build a customer base. Having said that, It took me 12 months, but I have a very good location.

Big

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks Big!

For you current dogwash operators, is that anything you would add or remove from your system?

Do you have the blow dry or vac?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Based on being open for only about 2 months & with the North Dakota winter --- I can agree with Big Leo that time must be allowed for the business to gradually build up.

I have been trying to convince people that if they dry the dog & get it in the vehicle right away the dog should be alright. Sometimes I think the cold & large amounts of snow puts people here more in just survival mode & the avoid a lot of activities not just dog washing though.

Our first St. Bernard, our first two 70 lb companion dogs were washed at once in the same tub,our first poop across the floor needed to be cleaned up ---- oh well --- we are learning & having our ups & down ---especially with our extra good & reliable doggie elevator.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks MJ! I am glad that I held off in the fall and will be doing it in the early spring now...I think that will work quite a bit better and give me more of a chance to market it. Is your wash attended? Do you feel as though it would need to be attended?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Bubbles,

My pet washing dries up in the cold snowy winters. But summer is very busy. Vac & Blower are really cheap to deliver and will be your highest margin option going...so yes to both. A two speed blower would be good. I have the pet fragrance machines and I'm not sure I would do that again, but I wanted to have everything. Skip the Flea & Tick shampoo...way too expensive and doesn't really do anything. When it's busy you need it attended. If you can have at least 2 tubs and some remote cameras, you don't have to rush out to clean a tub when you have another clean one waiting.

Build your system with the controls in behind (back room) so you can drop the hoses into the 5 gallon buckets. Dilute the conditioner at least by half to avoid clogging.

The Laural 3 item vendor is a good idea for treats & stuff.

Big

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks Big!

I'm gonna push pretty hard to get this thing up and running by mid-spring so that we can get all the good wash months in and not open up in the fall. Thanks for the ideas!