What's new

Dogwash/Detailing Waiting Room

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am currently in the process of converting 2 of my bays. One will be for detailing and the other will be for a dogwash.

My question is do I have to have a restroom to use my dogwash as a waiting room? I don't want to do this and am wondering if it would just be in my best interest to say that our detailing service is strictly drop off?

What are your thoughts on this?

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

MEP001

Reaction score
I would think you'll need a restroom for employees anyway.

mjc3333

Reaction score
Maybe, maybe not. You would have to look into your local laws. Just like most retail stores that do not include food or drink, bathrooms are "off" limits or do not exist at all for the general public.

MEP001

Reaction score
I didn't mean need as in required by law or regulation, more that it would seem necessary with multiple full-time employees on site.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I have a restroom in the equipment room, just not one that I would be willing to allow the public to use.

I'm preparing a letter for the township and I want to make sure that I have all my I's dotted and T's crossed.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Rather than a letter, you might just go down there without identifying yourself and ask a few questions about when do you need a public restroom. I always got a copy of the city and county ordinances. You can see the state laws on line.

IMO, if you have people waiting around for anything, you need a restroom. Then of course, it needs to be handicap accessible. If you don't you will have someone that "has to go" and you will be forced to let them in the equipment room. Is there anyway to access the equipment room restroom from another direction, and blocking it off from the equipment room?

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
My restroom sits directly next to/underneath of my changers.

I would think that it would be a similar situation as to going into a party store that you know has a bathroom, but is not for public use. I won't bring it up to them, but if they push the subject my arguement would be that because the site is unattended, I don't think it would be in the best interest of public safety to have a restroom.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm confused. I thought you had carwash, detail and petwash.

If so, I would add a restroom. It classes up the joint.

Customers judge you on your restroom. Having one is another chance to wow them.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Wax- I have an 8 bay self serve car wash. I did detailing last year out in the open which made it very weather dependent. This year I am closing off 2 bays, 1 for detailing (roll up doors) and one for our new pet wash. My singular objection to adding a bathroom is all the red tape that I would have to wade through as far as inspectors/permits.

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
If you are only going to offer reconditioning services, services normally taking 3 to 4 hours to complete, you will be able to service maybe two vehicles a day with one bay. Since most folks are not willing to wait this length of time, I don't believe you would need to have a bathroom other than the toilet you currently have.

If you are going to offer express detailing, services normally taking 20 to 30 minutes to complete, you will be able to service about 3 vehicles an hour with one bay. Since most folks are willing to wait this length of time, you should plan on offering a nice restroom facility because people have needs.

Unlike self-service or in-bay that are basically vending machines, detail is a high contact sport. You are up in people's faces everyday and bending over backwards to please them because you are now asking for a price that dwarfs the price of customers doing it themselves. This means providing a high level of customer service.

As for placing the waiting room in the dog wash bay, I might reconsider this.

For example, how do you think most female customers would react if the manager at the local Jiffy Lube asked them to wait by sitting on an uncomfortable chair in the corner of one of the lube bays or using the employee's bathroom?

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
smell & get bids

I am currently in the process of converting 2 of my bays. One will be for detailing and the other will be for a dogwash.

My question is do I have to have a restroom to use my dogwash as a waiting room? I don't want to do this and am wondering if it would just be in my best interest to say that our detailing service is strictly drop off?

What are your thoughts on this?

Bubbles,

One thing to consider might be possible "wet dog smell" being fairly strong every once in awhile even with really good ventilation. The dog washers probably will expect it some but detail shop or other restroom users might have a sensitivity.

Another thought they might allow you to have a unisex restroom rather than 2 separate restrooms as a compromise. A certified plumber will know if you need a commercial grade toilet which will have a different dimension than residential. Let us know what kind of quotes (bids) you get for the public restroom portion of your project. Try to get at least 2 or 3 depending on how backlogged your local plumbers &/or contractors are. The other plus is you get input from the estimators who do it for a living.

MJ

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Having a bathroom isn't a lot of red tape. Handicap-access. is just about a wheelchair turning radius and some grab rails and special faucet handles.

I think you are making a big deal out of something pretty minor.

When you build one and keep it nice, your female customers who use it will never ever go anywhere else because a nice bathroom is rare and is the hallmark of a cleaning business.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I'm not sure the direction I am going to take at this point. I have been approved by my township to go ahead with the dog wash and that's where I'm going to start. I will see how the detailing naturally evolves and what types of services tend to get purchased the most. Thanks for all the advice guys.