What's new

Dog wash …. Do, or a Dodoo…?

Etowah

sjb

Reaction score
Greetings!

i would love to hear from owners of “dog washes”, the good, bad and poopy….

what would you do differently if you did it again…?

We have a front wall with good visibility, and lots of potential pups in the community…Atlanta.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
There is potential to make money with one. I make more than a SS bay in mine. With that said, I feel to run one properly and successfully, it needs to be attended and cleaned after each use at least during business hours( mine is open 24/7)

mac

Reaction score
Seen it both ways. A lot depends on quality, visibility, customer base.

mac

Reaction score
Take a look at this one, the “iClean Dog Wash” saw one at a trade show and literally everyone who saw it smiled. Imagine having Trump or Schwarzenegger talk you through the process. You would certainly get on the local evening news. FREE publicity. 🐶

Reactions: sjb

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
sjb,

Based on experience ... we are glad that the dogs can't see each other while being washed. Our stalls provide that separation of view!

BTW ... There is very little dog washing during our recent daily below zero F temperatures. That is one reason why I am not in any big rush to reopen along with some loose ends still remaining on our re-do after 10 years of reasonably reliable PLC-Touch Pad operation or our specific dog wash. I agree with the need to stay on top of potential messes. Ideally, the customers consistently help clean up after themselves ... especially during "shedding" season!

Another potential future re-do is to possibly follow what Mike Doyle told me over the telephone ... about having side buttons with a display similar to our very close-by "durable more customer proof choice of 5s & 20s" ATM. Granted ... I probably lose a few customers by not have CryptoPay or other CC payment devices on each & everyone of our 60+ pieces within our facilities equipment. My almost brand new ATM is set up for CryptoCurrency ... but we all know that is different than CryptoPay. For our location ... I believe avoiding the "owner footing the merchant fees" is the better fit ... I certainly can't speak for everyone's specific location.

Last edited:

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
Our dog wash does about 60% of our least used self service bay, and about 30% of our most used self service bay. And given that the dog wash is very low maintenance and had very low capital cost to set up, it has pretty good return. We would definitely recommend. Our particular dog wash set up is.... https://k9000dogwash.com/models/k9000-original/

PDonnelly

Reaction score
I have 3 dog wash rooms at my faciltiy and would say the only down fall is the HAIR! Some customers will wash down the tubs before or after a use but to be honest most will not. I have a hot water hose setup so that I can wash down the walls and tubs on a pretty regular basis I shoot for everyday but more like every other. Depending on your sewer setup wether you have a holding Pit or not keeping up with enzymes is a must or your pit can start to go a "stale" for lack of better terms. All 3 of my rooms have the Kleen Rite dog wash package. Which uses all of the standard 10 pos rotary switch, dixmor timers that are used in all of my self serve bays, which makes for no need to be adding any additional Stock back up of parts to ensure it stays up and running. But for the most part other then the wash down now and then they're maintenance free.

The best thing about a dog wash is that it'll be used in any weather condition rain, snow, and summer. As a dog person myself I know my dogs are all ways in need of a bath. Also adding in all types of soap options de- skunk, flea , and Vet options keep all types needs fulfilled. Not to forget a vending machine with dog treats, towels, etc ... helps as well in generating revenue.

Dave in IL

Reaction score
We have a dog wash and are very happy with it. It generates as much revenue as 2 self serve bays combined. I will reiterate other's comments, it is best to have someone around who can clean up after every dog or 2. One thing I have found helpful. When I designed ours, I put a pool pre-filter (with the basket) in my drain plumbing to catch the hair. I let the hair flow freely down the tub drain and catch it in the basket. I converted a self serve bay so it drains into the old pit. In the basket strainer, I place chlorine tabs to keep the smell down. Every so often a dog will do its business and most don't clean up. If they do, they drop the droppings into the garbage can so you always have to be checking garbage receptacles. One other thing to be aware of, try to minimize the 'stuff' in your dog wash. Rex will surely want to spray on anything he can mark.

sjb

Reaction score
Range is $14k to $25k, plus integration, plumbing, electrical, etc.

none of the Mfg’s offer “count up” with the CC’s … which is sad, and I know some dog owners that need dog washing therapy….

oooh la la

MEP001

Reaction score
Here's another option:

This tub by itself was about $7,000 last time I checked. It would take maybe another $2,000 in parts to make the same thing Kleen-Rite sells for $14k. There's really nothing to their system, an injector on a solenoid manifold and a standard meter box and rotary switch. There's nothing to how it works.