What's new

dog vandel

wendy's wash

Reaction score
we use 30 gallon plastic trash cans at our wash. we have 7 spread out at bays and vacs. started just as school let out. we would get to wash and there were trash cans on their sides with trash on ground. we just guessed that the newly released school kids were tumping them over. they would only tump 1 or 2 each time. got to wash this morning and 2 were down. found large paw prints from where 1 can was at the bay and the prints walked all the way to the center of lot where the trash was. customer put paint in can and dog stepped in it. i believe dog wanted food as taco bell trash was torn open. i guess that the dog was brave enough to knock cans over. my wife empties the cans and the 30 gl ones are just light enough for her. does anyone have an idea of how to stop cans from being pushed over with out weight at bottom of can or having to chain them down as it would be a pain to have to release them every day to empty them. thanks

mjc3333

Reaction score
We lock our cans to the vac islands and have a lockable lid with a hole for garbage the size of a small dinner plate. Cans are never stolen,never knocked over, and we now don't get the mass amount of house / car parts / city dumpers / etc as we used to. A win win situation.

Customers are TOO..... lazy to empty their entire vehicle one handful of garbage at a time.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
USe 4 ft. Bungees that have one end permanently aattached to an eye bolt and the other hook just goes in the eye bolt. These Bungees stretch and go around the can, about 6" below the top, hugging it too the vac island.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
We have 30gal drums in front of our self serve bays we put a patio block inside and have a garbage bag in each drum with a bungie cord around it.

Kevin James

Reaction score
There an image problem with using old soap drums as garbage receptacles. There’s nothing more unsightly than driving into a car wash and seeing a bunch of old soap drums with the top cut off being used as a garbage receptacles. You don’t see used product containers at McDonalds or Burger King being used for trash. Buy a real trash container. It’s all about image and the public’s perception!

wendy's wash

Reaction score
Okay, I usually don't post on here, my husband does, but momma car wash has been put in a tiz by kevin. I stopped cooking my jambalaya to come post.
Just how many car wash owners can you insult in one day?
I have no image problem, have owned 1 car wash for 26 years and the other one for 6, yes i said own as in payed off for 20 something years. My customers love me and look out for me when I'm over there. No one in 26 years has complained about the trash cans. A good image is a clean, working car wash, with customers that smile and come and catch up with you. Just my opinion, Wendy Lenze

Kevin James

Reaction score
Wendy’s Wash,
My intentions were not to insult you and if you think that I was insulting you I apologize. What I was saying is the use of soap drums as garbage cans doesn’t look professional. We would never use a soap drum as a garage can as it doesn’t look professional. Again I apologize if you think I was insulting or attacking you.

wendy's wash

Reaction score
okay, first we have a image problem in your opinion and now we are considered
unprofessional in your opinion. Got it! Wendy

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Although KJ can be quite blunt, I tend to agree with him. I think old drums around a wash look tacky and don't use them either. I give all of my old drums away. If someone wants one and I'm going to empty one soon I will tell them it will be around back. If it's still there a day or so later I haul it off.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Used empty drums for many years.

I think our locations were succesful and did this.

I have not done this for a while. Professional trash containers are extra $, but it does give a more professional image.

Now I have seen people dress up drums by painting them and putting on dome trash tops. It is a step up from naked open top drums.

Now, Wendy may be 100% right. We know how unobservant customers can be. Somethimes however they are surprisinigly observant albeit on a subconscious level.

As with many things in this industry, make a comment to 5 car washers and get 10 opinions.

Randy

Reaction score
In 28 years we’ve never used soap drums as trash containers, we think they look cheap & tacky. We’ve always used commercial type trash containers. Right now we are using a Rubber Maid 56 Glutton trash constrainer. www.trashcandepot.com/rubbermaid-glutton-trash-cans-21_27.html

We just had a bunch used of 30 & 55 gallon drums stolen. We thought they had done us a favor. Come to find out these drums are worth up to $100 a piece. Now we sell them.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
There an image problem with using old soap drums as garbage receptacles. There’s nothing more unsightly than driving into a car wash and seeing a bunch of old soap drums with the top cut off being used as a garbage receptacles. You don’t see used product containers at McDonalds or Burger King being used for trash. Buy a real trash container. It’s all about image and the public’s perception!
We have the 30gal drums in similar containers you would see at a gas station just for that purpose of appearance.

MudMoney

Reaction score
We use our 30 gal soap barrels and people don't steal them either.Our town is a meat and potatoes type ,they are more interested in price and pressure.I am right next to a Mcdonalds and their trash is on the ground as there is only 2 cans on the site and try and find them.I have 3 cans at each vacuum island and each bay has 2 cans plus 1 next to vending machines.Never had a comment about unsightly containers.I ask customers on a regular basis what they would like to see as an improvement or service added.Its always need more time and cheaper and I tell them I got to eat too.In this case of nice looking trash cans its up to the owner and his own perception.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
>>.I ask customers on a regular basis what they would like to see as an improvement or service added.Its always need more time and cheaper and I tell them I got to eat too.<<

>>In this case of nice looking trash cans its up to the owner and his own perception.
If it's only the owner's perception that counts why do you ask the customers what they would like?
Agreed, perceptions count. Used to go to the fishing tackle store with my dad. sometimes he would buy a lure and say "I don't know if it will catch any fish, but it caught me."
Bottom line though is if you want to catch fish only the perception of the fish is what counts. I often do stuff, (Signage etc.) and wonder what the customer's perception is or will be. I then solicit feedback from customers.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
"Bottom line though is if you want to catch fish only the perception of the fish is what counts."

Earl makes a very valid point. The classic mistake made by many operators is to offer services or run their wash to their own satisfaction rather than the customer's. The "It's my wash and I will market and operate the way I want to" may work if your perceptions match your customer's but if it doesn't you may be short changing your wash.

Of course this does not apply to people misusing your wash.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Used empty drums for many years.

I think our locations were succesful and did this.

I have not done this for a while. Professional trash containers are extra $, but it does give a more professional image.

Now I have seen people dress up drums by painting them and putting on dome trash tops. It is a step up from naked open top drums.

Now, Wendy may be 100% right. We know how unobservant customers can be. Somethimes however they are surprisinigly observant albeit on a subconscious level.

As with many things in this industry, make a comment to 5 car washers and get 10 opinions.

Earl & others,

We have 21 containers at our place total. In & by the laundry they have covers for the most part. I think that by having one in each bay, by each vacuum, in each dog stall & so many ---- the less glamorous perception is offset by the extra convenience of one at their fingertips so close by.

MJ