What's new

Does Turning Off One of Two Automatics During Storms Help At All?

Carl

Reaction score
This one might sound pretty desperate but hey...I've been in business since July of 2003 and never had lightning damage and then last year my touchfree automatics were hit TWICE and we all know how difficult it is to get that electronic equipment back up and running again after lightning surges!

There's a storm overhead right now and I got to thinking... Since demand for carwashing is of course "dead" right now, I was curious...if I powered off (shut off its respective circuit breaker switch) one of my two touchfree automatics and respective auto cashier, does that help increase my chance of averting lightning damage rather than leave both auto bays powered "on"? Or is this futile and would only be giving me a false sense of "peace of mind" weathering a lightning storm as we'll have many of again since it is springtime.

My guess is that if lightning hits, it'll cause great damage whether equipment is on or off or am I wrong and it's better to "unplug" 50% of my touchfree automatics when a thunderstorm is due to hit?

Ever had lightning damage at your carwash in its history? Lucky if you've escaped it and I hope you never do get hit!

(Whoa! Lots of lightning outside. I just unplugged my MacBook's power cord to this laptop. Now THAT'S smart, I know!)

Thanks!

Carl :eek:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Lighting will "jump" any breaker or switch, I'd say it wouldn't hurt to do it, but lightening rods might be a better shot.

Carl

Reaction score
Thanks!

That sounds like a good idea, Bill! I'll look into 'lightning rods' and I just won't worry too much about the lightning tonight 'cause I remember seeing a stat about how slim a chance it is that we individually get struck by a lightning bolt...it's a very slim possibility! I was just "unlucky" a couple times last year w/ my auto bay getting hit and I feel sorry for my business insurance company who did cover the damages (less the deductible of course) and which I learned is now going out-of-business, hence my searching for a new insurer.

Thanks! - Carl :cool:

MEP001

Reaction score
There are inexpensive lightning protection devices you can put on the supply lines to your automatics. There's a link to it in a thread here somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it yet.

lag

Reaction score
If your automatics have a phone line attached to it ,protect the phone lines also. We were nailed once through the phone system. You may also want to look at protection on your power mains coming in the building. we have some sort of surge suppessor on all mains coming from the power company.. Good luck

Carl

Reaction score
Good Advice!

Thanks for sharing those great pieces of advice. Lessening exposure to damages from lightning could be a big money-saver! Will look into the ideas you guys have mentioned. Have a good week! - Carl

bigleo48

Reaction score
Carl,

I have dealt with this on a commercial basis many times. This is a complicated subject and many professionals who deal with this kind of problem often differ. However, here's a few things to think about.

1-Turning off the equipment can help some. How much will depend on your setup and how the surge ingresses into your equipment.

2-Mep mentioned electrical service surge protector. If your area suffers from frequent surges (storm or other), that's a must. They have gone down a lot in price over the last 5 years. As also mentioned, don't forget other services, like phone or cable as potential ingress points. They should have their own surge protection or isolation. Electronic interconnection devices (phone/Ethernet/serial ports) are very susceptible.

3-Do a grounding audit. Look at how your place is wired. Get an amp-clamp meter and go around measuring your different ground points. There should be no current, or very little on any system or electrical ground. If you find some, start turning off equipment until your find the culprit. I may indicate wrong wiring (like ground loops), bad ground, failing equipment etc.

4- Look at your main fuses. Are they quick enough to react to a major surge or the cheap kind? My competitor had the cheap kind and a major surge from the power company and destroyed the electrical room and all equipment. He was down for 3 months! http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8499009539197073101#