What's new

Does anyone know what this machine is?

MEP001

Reaction score
It looks like he's driving the machine.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
Looks to me like a later version of the Robo Wash. With the original Robo Wash you drove through it - they added the moving gantry later. That might be the only one left. The last time I saw one was probably over 25 years ago in Ohio.

washnshine

Reaction score
Looks to me like a later version of the Robo Wash. With the original Robo Wash you drove through it - they added the moving gantry later. That might be the only one left. The last time I saw one was probably over 25 years ago in Ohio.
Neat - thanks for the info. You can't see it in the video, but if you street view the location on google maps, he has two bays with identical machines - side by side. There are two left in the world!

mac

Reaction score
My guess is that it's an old Bernardi built bu the Bernardi brothers. The one I saw many years ago had a small phone booth type enclosure where you got in/on it and drove it around the car. The brushes on these though look too new for that.

Etowah

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
It could be an old Bernardi unit but I believe the original design came from the Robo Wash. I remember seeing a Bernardi unit years ago but as I recall it had dual brushes and was more of a gantry type unit. I have been told there were many home made units early on so I think those owners might not even know whose equipment that is. The really amazing thing is that it is still in operation which leads me to believe that it may be a one of a kind unit that was built with readily available parts rather than anything unique to the unit. Maybe someone near there could talk to them to find out.

washnshine

Reaction score
It could be an old Bernardi unit but I believe the original design came from the Robo Wash. I remember seeing a Bernardi unit years ago but as I recall it had dual brushes and was more of a gantry type unit. I have been told there were many home made units early on so I think those owners might not even know whose equipment that is. The really amazing thing is that it is still in operation which leads me to believe that it may be a one of a kind unit that was built with readily available parts rather than anything unique to the unit. Maybe someone near there could talk to them to find out.
This wash is about 2.5 hours away from me. The next time I go that way to visit relatives, I will stop by and find out what I can. It's pretty neat that he has two of these machines in operation and is still serving a loyal customer base since 1968.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
This wash is about 2.5 hours away from me. The next time I go that way to visit relatives, I will stop by and find out what I can. It's pretty neat that he has two of these machines in operation and is still serving a loyal customer base since 1968.

I am curious as to what you will find out. Whatever it is it must have had some pretty good engineering and maintenance through the years. As I traveled all over the country for many years it was always exciting to come upon a situation like this and see how far we have come.

washnshine

Reaction score
I can’t believe I am reviving a 5 year old thread - but I finally made it out to this wash today to pay this guy a visit!

I asked him what brand it was and he said it was a home-made machine from a company in Utica, NY. Built in 1977!!

He couldn’t remember the name of the company, but when I googled Utica NY and car wash manufacture, I got this:

Here is the pic I took today. He said he is not washing a lot of cars anymore and is getting ready to retire. When I went into the bay, the top brush clearance is about 5’6” - probably really limits his customers. He is the proprietor and sole operator. Old school operation. Glad I met him - this machine is probably one of a handful of its kind and to see it still around was pretty cool. Two brushes, one arch and manual controls for all functions.

Attachments

water guy

Reaction score
Thats True Ameracana ! God Bless That Man and His Family that what this Country Was Built on People Like Him True Dedication.

twinchester

Reaction score
I found this video of a vintage machine - looks like a two brush design decades before PDQ's Tandem!

http://www.carwash.com/video-week-becoming-neighborhood-staple/
The machine was probably built between 1967 an 1975 be either Weben Industries or Nu Star. It has a small platform for the operator to stand on and operate. Thete is a steering wheel and cable system moving the side brush.
The manual in bay was soon after replaced with the In Bay Automatic. The name stuck.

washnshine

Reaction score
The machine was probably built between 1967 an 1975 be either Weben Industries or Nu Star. It has a small platform for the operator to stand on and operate. Thete is a steering wheel and cable system moving the side brush.
The manual in bay was soon after replaced with the In Bay Automatic. The name stuck.
Walked in the bay with the owner and there is no steering wheel or platform. Nothing to steer- it goes only forward and backwards on two rails. Like I said - the owner said it was homemade in Utica, NY, which is not the location of Weben or Nu Star. Side brush was not moved by a steel cable system either. That was why I stopped by - to get a closer look and talk to the owner to find out what it was.

Read all the posts.

twinchester

Reaction score
Walked in the bay with the owner and there is no steering wheel or platform. Nothing to steer- it goes only forward and backwards on two rails. Like I said - the owner said it was homemade in Utica, NY, which is not the location of Weben or Nu Star. Side brush was not moved by a steel cable system either. That was why I stopped by - to get a closer look and talk to the owner to find out what it was.

Read all the posts.
Sorry, I didn't know that info and was trying to help with a guess.