What's new

Does anyone have experience using Well water for a self serve?

Etowah

doublj70

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm in California, and starting to get paranoid over the drought, and wondering if water rationing or worse is on the way. Two of my locations that were built back in the 1960's had their own wells at some point long before I had them. One even has some plumbing left over. I'm wondering if it might be worthwhile to look into resurrecting the wells to reduce my city water usage. I would appreciate input from anyone who is using, or has used well water for some or all of the functions in a self serve. I would imagine there would need to be filtering and softening... Thanks for taking the time to read my post!

Thanks, John

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
You should first see if you will be allowed to pump water from the wells. Regardless of the rights that may have been granted when the washes were built in many areas it is not permitted to pump water from wells since many actually tap into ground water. If you are allowed, the next step would be to have the water tested for content. Some well water is very easy to use and may only require some softening but in some cases the mineral content and other contaminants could make it expensive to treat.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I am in the process of connecting an artesian well at my carwash. If you already have a well I would simply get it operational and pump water from it for ahwile. An unused well may need to be cleaned out good by pumping it down and allowing itself to refill many times.

Once the well has been regenerating awhile, you can test the water. Once you test the water you will have a better idea of how you can use it around the wash.