What's new

Do You Know Many of Your Customers By Name?

Carl

Reaction score
Just curious whether you have a "gift" in remembering customers' names who frequent your carwash? Through the years I've met many wonderful customers but sometimes I just plain forget what the heck their name is and it can be a bit embarrassing. :confused: I started using a Word file where I'd type the customer's name, briefly describe some characteristics or qualities about them that would help me remember them but sometimes getting to the file is too much hassle and a name slips through the cracks. Wish I had a better memory or "gift" for holding on to names after once being introduced. Never was a fan but still, I admire this in him...I read somewhere that President Bill Clinton has an amazing ability to remember names. Wish I had the same. Sure is nice to be greeted by name at any business when you're a patron.

Carl :rolleyes:

Reds

Reaction score
I have a terrible memory when it comes to names. Everyone knows my nickname (Reds) due to my red hair so it is more embarrassing to me when I can't remember their name. I do my best to dodge using their name in conversation. I'm sure that if I were to talk to them every day that their name would stick. I wish there was a way to sharpen my name recollection.

MikeV

Reaction score
I'm with you on this one, Reds. I forget names as fast as I hear them. I, too, wish there was an easy way to remember names.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do my very best to remember names as well as telephone voices. A few customers have been very impressed with this! One customer has a very distinctive voice and I always recognize her immediately when she calls. Subsequently, she calls alot! She always tips and her car is super clean even before we start the detail job. A win/win.

If you can't remember names, do what my friend John does; smile:), talk to the customers, give them stuff; wheel cleaner, smelly trees or tokens. They like that better than calling them by name I think. With that action, you are likely to create a relationship where you'd naturally learn their name in time.:D

ProCarWashes

Reaction score
Name calling

I don't care what a person calls me as long as they call me for dinner!;) I think everyone should have to wear their name on their shirts. And their life's story on their cuff. :D

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
When I was GM of a full service car wash chain we had a service writer with a photographic memory. He not only remembered names but what they purchased on their last visit. He was our top salesperson by far.

I wish I could remember names better than I do. The most embarrassing thing is when you think you remember the guy's name and you are wrong. Done that more than once.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Absolutely. If I have an actual conversation with someone, then I will try to remember their name. I would feel really stupid if we struck up a conversation after that and I couldn't recall their name.

Tom Thumb

Reaction score
Traveled for 30 yrs. in sales , best solution I found for remembering names was to say them rapidly to myself five or six times and repeat that several times that day, seemed to help me, hope it can help you.