What's new

Do you have pressure? I don't...well a little.

Etowah

acbruno

Reaction score
It all started last March 2007. I purchased a new CAT 5CP2120W pump to replace an older one in one of my least-used bays. I installed it and set the pressure at 1500 PSI. I noticed the pressure at the spray gun was significantly less. I would estimate it at 900 – 1000 PSI. I cranked the pressure up to 2000 at the pump. I went to the bay and squeezed the trigger. This time it felt like it was around 1200 – 1400 PSI so I left it like that. Just yesterday my motor burned out in that bay. I swapped it out for a new one and turned it on with the pressure setting of 1500 PSI. This issue repeated itself. I only had 900 – 1000 at the spray nozzle once again. The motor has to work significantly harder when I crank it to 2000 so I’m going to fix the problem this time instead of burning up another motor.

I put a new nozzle tip on the gun and I tried the spray gun right off the pump and that didn’t show any difference. I also tried a supply line from the pump next to it and that didn’t show any differences. I wonder if there is an obstruction in the pump itself. I have another pump to swap it out with, but I thought I might solicit the experts before I do that.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Tony

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
What size tip do you have in the gun? What HP is your motor? 1500 PSI is a lot of pressure and will pull more amps. Also the trigger must be pulled while setting the pressure. If you are alone tape the trigger down and wire tie it to your drain grate.

bushlanders

Reaction score
I had this same problem a few months back and it turned out to be a small check valve on my hp wax-if you have manual valves you can turn off at the pump for hp wax and soap turn them off and see if your pressure increases- if it does then open up one of them at a time and see which one makes you loose pressure and that will be tha bad check valve

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
I'd swap discharge hoses with a pump that is running correctly. This will narrow it down to a problem in the equipment room or a problem in the bay.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Connect a bay hose to the pump directly to see if the hose going to the bay has deteriorated.
Also swap out the pressure regulator with another bay if you don't have a spare.
Make sure the tension on the belt pulley is right.

MEP001

Reaction score
Look for a check valve on the high-pressure line to the bay. More than likely there's something between the pump and the gun that's restricting flow, could even be in the gun itself. Take the gun off and run the pump, and you should have no pressure at the gauge.

I once made a 500-mile round trip because someone had broken off the tip of an extractor in the discharge fitting of a gun while removing a broken wand.

If anything was restricting flow to the pump, it wouldn't build pressure by cranking up the regulator (and it would be noisy as hell), so that eliminates that problem.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I tried the spray gun right off the pump and that didn?t show any difference.
Guys, he ran the gun right off the pump - no difference.

To me that means one of the following:
- tip is worn
- insufficient water supply
- pump valves, seals, or washout

you said you tried a new tip, different water supply, and its a new pump ... which frankly leaves me scratching my head.

Like Pat said, what size tip do you use? I might try a smaller tip - if that makes a difference then it might in fact be the water supply isnt sufficient

Possible that there's an obstruction in your unloader? Pressure might register at the gauge but sufficient volume might not be making it to the bay.

Swapping out the pump (you said you have a spare) should answer a lot of questions.