What's new

Do you give good friends / family free/discounted washes?

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
Just curious. Have more friends come around than when I had my liquor store. One side of me feels bad taking money from friends...the other side says there's no free lunch!

What do you guys do? Discounted? Free? etc?

MEP001

Reaction score
IMO if they're good friends they won't ask for or expect a free car wash. If I go to a friend's wash I expect to pay, but I'll take a free one if it's offered.

I've had a lot of people hang around the wash acting like they're someone I've known for years. I used to give friendly people the occasional freebie, then I couldn't get rid of them. If I never do, they stop coming around. Some friend, right?

Close family is free, siblings, parents, aunts and uncles, cousins only if we grew up as close as siblings. Relatives I only see when their car is dirty should at least act like they expect to pay. Luckily no one from my mother's side of the family is like that, and I never see anyone from dad's side.

soonermajic

Reaction score
same as MEP

I was stunned @ the amount of people who'd ask me for a free wash...!

pgrzes

Reaction score
Family and Friend discount code $5 off top wash to use anytime. Wife, Mom, Son free wash code. Good friends & family when I am there and I see(or want to) see them Free wash.

Eric H

Reaction score
That Mooch Waxman always seems to get a free wash when he visits.

This is the product I sell, if you want it for free I expect you to give me the product that you sell for free!

I don’t ever remember going to a business and getting a free product except if they were doing a promotion. I’d certainly never ask for a free product from the pizza shop I go to every Friday and I spend about $1000 a year there. However, I do randomly give out washes or vacuums or an armor all or air freshener. Giving out free things makes me feel good BUT I don’t have people expecting it for free.

I suspect that you are asking because you feel abused. If that is the case I suggest you reel in the freebies. This is your livelihood not a charity and you shouldn’t feel badly about charging friends and family for the product you sell

Etowah

soapy

Reaction score
I give a few friends and family free washes but they respond in kind with their services or products. My dad used to tell me that you have to make money from your friends because your enemies won't do business with you.

L

loewem

Free? Feel bad taking their money? I apply a friends and family surcharge. I'm almost finished with my new book, "Fast Money From Family and Friends"....forward by Randy Nix.

Seriously, I'm about like pgrzes....If I see a friend I'll give them a wash. The wife has to pay like everyone else....keeps here out of my hair. I wish my daughter would take advantage of the car wash.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Immediate family - Free. Other relatives and occasional a friend I give a coupon for free wash to. IMO you should patronize friends because they give quality service at a good price.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I also use coupon for free washes to promote the business. At a local restaurant I ad it to generous tip. I give them to other local businesses as I frequent them as well.

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Free washes to lots of people. Like Earl I carry wash coupons around with me and distribute them to other local businesses. I give them to line workers and waitresses at places I frequent. It's a great method of word of mouth advertising. And of course I wash friends and family for free.

chaz

Reaction score
“Friends” get a card with a couple top washes loaded.....I explain to them keep the card you can always reload it at the vending machine.
Family gets card and code for washes. I’ll change the code as needed when family shares too much with friends
Family that forgets code or card and uses personal credit card (my brother and co-owner, for example) I used to search the c/c report and refund....now I just treat it as a full price sale.

patkelly1336

Reaction score
We allow our employees to have one free Ultimate wash per week for themselves, friends or family. Our ultimate has the lava shine, conditioner, wheel brite, rain-x total body, armor all extreme shine wax, heated dry, underbody flush, clear coat, spot free rinse, and hand prep. It is a 15 dollar wash.

mac

Reaction score
You have to make your money from your friends because the people who don't like you won't come there.