What's new

Do you do windows?

Dean Taylor

Dean Taylor, CATEC.com
Reaction score
I frequent a full service car wash about once a month. They do a fine job on my car, including windows but...

They never roll down the windows to clean the soap/dirt line on the top of the window, where the windows seat in the door frame. They do clean the windows and do a good job but not rolling them down actually contributes to this scum line.

Do you have your people clean the top of the windows too? If not, it might be a good idea. I know I would be more satisfied if they would take the extra 30 seconds per window.

I'm not looking for a total detail from a F/S wash but this is an area where I think they could add quality for very little extra effort.

chadrpalmer

Reaction score
we do it on request. you can open a real can of worms, though to automatically roll people's windows down. some dont work, some may not go back up, etc.. now, if they will roll them up and down themselves, that helps eliminate a lot of those issues.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
In addition to some possible mechanical issues, since the interior lining around the window is wet, even after wiping it usually gets wet again and does not remain clean.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
In detailing a vehicle, our shop always gets the 'top edge'.

To me it is a nice finishing touch but rph is right, some goo will keep transferring onto the glass with wet gaskets.

This may be a bit too much for a carwash to perform, too. I can see it in the detail shop being part of a thorough job, but I'd skip it except for the most discerning customers.

DavidM

Reaction score
We also do this on request. I have considered doing it to every vehicle but I don't know how many customers would care. I think I may work harder at letting people know we are glad to do it if they would like but I am not ready to implement it on every vehicle.

Like Waxman said, detailing is a different story, we always do this when we detail a vehicle.

David