What's new

D'Limonene

washnshine

Reaction score
I understand D'Limonene is a naturally occurring solvent - a citrus extract.
How does it compare to products like potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide, commonly found in presoaks?
Is it easier on car finishes/trim and equipment?
Is it more or less effective on certain soil conditions? I understand that it depends on the product it is in, but I am looking for information from anyone who has experience using this chemical in any of their wash solutions and how they feel it stacks up to some of the other agents found in wash solutions.

Thanks.

BBE

Reaction score
Kleenrite sells a D'limonene based presoak for IBA's. I've always been curious to hear a review on it....

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I understand D'Limonene is a naturally occurring solvent - a citrus extract.
How does it compare to products like potassium hydroxide and sodium hydroxide, commonly found in presoaks?
Is it easier on car finishes/trim and equipment?
Is it more or less effective on certain soil conditions? I understand that it depends on the product it is in, but I am looking for information from anyone who has experience using this chemical in any of their wash solutions and how they feel it stacks up to some of the other agents found in wash solutions.

Thanks.
Most of the better presoaks contain some solvency. D-Limonene is distilled from orange peels and is added as a natural solvent instead of distilled spirits which most use. It is considered more environmentally friendly. It is debatable as to whether it does a better job than distilled spirits. Since it is much more expensive it is not found in many products and when it is it is used sparingly. Solvents in general are found in formulations more in the form of an additive that assist in the cleaning of inorganic soils like some of the contents of road film like abraded concrete or asphalt and some organics like oil and other petroleum based soils that often drips onto roads.. They do not significantly increase the pH in a product which would be the purpose of the caustics you listed.

soonermajic

Reaction score
What about Simoniz Correct? I think it has d'Limonene..?

soonermajic

Reaction score
Should one use "Correct", & , then follow w/ say...Kleen Track A?

WikiWash

Reaction score
Should one use "Correct", & , then follow w/ say...Kleen Track A?
Which Kleen Track A are you using 1, 2, or 3?

Generally common practice is to use acid then alkalinity. Especially during hotter months when you use alkalinity then acid, cars tend to come out chalky on darker vehicles.

soonermajic

Reaction score
HellifIknow
I think 1...?
So why use acid, then alkaline, if it leaves em chalky?

WikiWash

Reaction score
HellifIknow
I think 1...?
So why use acid, then alkaline, if it leaves em chalky?
It says it on your barrel. 1A is an extremely corrosive ABF based soap, 2A is not as corrosive and it is a commonly used phosphoric based soap, and 3A I think is citrus based soap which may even be non-corrosive and the weakest of the three.

Using a powder presoak on a hot vehicle will chalk cars because the soap mixture wants to go back to a powder. To prevent that from happening you put the acid on first. As I mentioned in your other thread, order a simoniz titration kit and go from there.