What's new

Distance for Foam Generators

Etowah

vguard296

Reaction score
Adding an additional LP system for bug remover next week on a 4 bay SS, pump room in middle of building. I want to use foam generators, and was planning to include them in the pump room before it runs out to each bay instead of in the trough. I guesstimate it might be a 30 foot run from foam generator to top of the ceiling in the to the bay at the furthest point.

Is that distance too far? Trough is getting full and I'm hoping to avoid having a bulky foam generator up there if I can avoid it.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Are you using some sort of separate gun fr this foam or is it coming out of the HP gun?

Keno

Reaction score
We have the foam generators for our FB in the equipment room at 1 location, furthest point is 2 bays away from ER, it takes forever for the brush to start dispensing foam properly - like 30+ seconds in the 2nd bay. We are going to re-plumb to have the foam generators over the bay with air and chemical in separate lines until the generator. It works fine once it gets to the brush, just takes too long to get to the brush. We have 5/8" polybraid running from ER to FB boom, which is also not helping us.

vguard296

Reaction score
We have the foam generators for our FB in the equipment room at 1 location, furthest point is 2 bays away from ER, it takes forever for the brush to start dispensing foam properly - like 30+ seconds in the 2nd bay. We are going to re-plumb to have the foam generators over the bay with air and chemical in separate lines until the generator. It works fine once it gets to the brush, just takes too long to get to the brush. We have 5/8" polybraid running from ER to FB boom, which is also not helping us.
That's what I was half expecting to occur. I'll probably get away with it in the bays immediately next to the room, but the outside bays will likely need the generator above them

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
There are two really good reasons to have the generator in the bay. One is that two tubing lines are cheaper than a hose. The other is that it takes the foam longer to get to the bay through a hose. A short run of 30' might not make much difference, but it's still going to be less expensive to run tubing. A third reason is that hose doesn't last nearly as long with exposure to the elements and the flexing, so in the long run you'll have less cost to replace a 3' piece of hose when it fails than a 30'. There's absolutely no upside to running the whole thing with hose.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
The foam generators don't have to be very big. I originally had huge PVC FB generators in the ER and 3/4" hose going out to the bays. Furthest bay is 3 over from the ER. It was a terrible design. I redid it using push connect tubing and put foam generators above each bay. Used 3/4" brass pipe like in the picture and used SS scrubber pad material or nylon scrubber material like you wash dishes with. The multiple function manifold on the left also has a foam generator in it. It has SS coiled wire in a short 3" long 1/4" brass pipe. Both work great! Disregard the CV's on the generator on the left, it goes on a foam gun and the CV's are not needed. The one on the right is for the foam brush. If you can put the foam generators above each bay, this is the best way you can plumb it or any LP option. People do notice!

Bob-O

Reaction score
I just run 1/4 line for chemical and air right above foam brush boom using just a brass tee with a 3/8 line coming out. I have great looking foam coming out of the brushes.

Don B.

Reaction score
I put my foam generators and check valves as close to the end as I can get them!

vguard296

Reaction score
We were thinking of having the tee for air and liquid in the pump room, and running a single 3/8 out to each bay. Would the consensus be that it's better to tee close to the boom instead? I had a dream of doing maintenance year around from the warmth of the heater, but results may prove otherwise.

MEP001

Reaction score
I didn't think about the possibility of freezing weather. Having a single line from the room would let you purge the line with air, then nothing outside the room would be at any risk of damage from freezing. The downside is that it probably won't work until it warms up because it's nearly impossible to get every bit of liquid out.

CWdummy

Reaction score
I just replaced all my foam generators for the foam brush boom and put them 1 foot away from boom. I also added foam generators and check valves at the center boom for Presoak and Tire cleaner. Works excellent.

Etowah