What's new

Discontinued Tokens

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone using Tokens from Osborne/Tokens Direct/Van Brook. I went to re-order more of our custom token last week only to find out that it has been discontinued. Apparently they simply cannot get some of the metal needed to make our control token. We were using their CTX-812. Not a great situation to be in. Looks like I’ll be spending some money upgrading a bunch of Slugbusters that I wasn’t anticipating.

edredtop

Reaction score
Just a heads up to anyone using Tokens from Osborne/Tokens Direct/Van Brook. I went to re-order more of our custom token last week only to find out that it has been discontinued. Apparently they simply cannot get some of the metal needed to make our control token. We were using their CTX-812. Not a great situation to be in. Looks like I’ll be spending some money upgrading a bunch of Slugbusters that I wasn’t anticipating.
Did they happen to mention which metal it was that they couldn't get?

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
No. I don’t know if they killed the entire CTX line or just certain ones.

edredtop

Reaction score
Dakota Hoskins is a car wash operator from Kentucky, he bought Pat Halls car washes.
Thanks.
Both have 6 letters on the first name, 7 on the last name.
Initials are "DH"
Is that reason enough to buy a lottery ticket?

Reactions: sjb

DakotaHoskins

Reaction score
Yes, I had a very heated conversation with Vanbrook that they could no longer make the CTX 812 tokens. I use these at all 4 of my washes and at 2 of the washes I sold, the new owner is still using them as well.

I estimate I have at least 10,000 tokens on hand that would need replaced with a new token. Additionally, what about all the tokens in customer circulation?! I asked Vanbrook if they were willing to pay to replace all of these tokens. Of course the answer was no.

The other issues is at these 6 washes there is approximately 75 coin acceptors that would need reprogrammed. Honestly I’m not sure what the answer is right now but I will not be replacing them through Vanbrook if I can find another vendor to supply tokens. I probably have enough to go another 6 months but after that I guess I will have to slowly switch over one wash at a time. What a nightmare.

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
I didn't even think about the time involved in reprogramming all the multi-coin acceptors we have, I was more focused on all of the Slugbusters we'll have to replace. Between our 5 self-serves we have 38 Slugbusters and 50+ multi-coins. We also typically have close to 40,000 tokens on hand not including all those in circulation. The Slugbusters are mostly in vacuums but they need to go because we need to accept Qtrs, our Token AND whatever we switch to. To make matters worse, the CTX we are using is 1.073" and we had to have all of our coin counters custom sized to be able count them and off-sort Qtrs and dollar coins. I'm going to have to stick with the 1.073" unless I feel like spending even more money. This is becoming a bigger pain in than ass than I anticipated and just in time for busy season!

edredtop

Reaction score
Contacted VanBrook, confirmed CTX line has not been discontinued, just a specific alloy blend.

One solution would be to find an exceptable, same size replacement and add it to an open channel on the acceptors, if that ability exists. Then both old and new tokens can be used in the bill changers. PIA for sure, but doable.
A thought for the two channel Slugbusters, certain stations could be made "tokens only" and just accept the new and old tokens. For example, push the old acceptors out to the vacuums until they can be replaced.

Strongly recommend to anyone that may have to replace their acceptors to get at least one right away and do a mock-up to ensure the fit. For example, the IDX has a thicker (wider) profile than a Slugbuster and may not fit next to a close mounted timer.

Last edited:

Ken with VanBrook

Reaction score
Unfortunately, we cannot get one metal alloy anymore. We have sourced Worldwide without success -- it is just not being manufactured anymore. We have multiple substitutes available for immediate shipment. If you are affected by this, please reach out to us and we will work with you!

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
Well now I’m pissed. Why didn’t they offer me another CTX model? They sent me three samples of different coins that were different sizes and different colors. The only one that was 1.073” was a salmon color, not gold like my current token.

edredtop

Reaction score
Well now I’m pissed. Why didn’t they offer me another CTX model? They sent me three samples of different coins that were different sizes and different colors. The only one that was 1.073” was a salmon color, not gold like my current token.
Having an identifying characteristic will help you know one from the other.
When I had to do a token change over I asked for a reeded edge. When the time came to remove the old tokens it made it super easy. You need to know the difference.

Ken with VanBrook

Reaction score
I will look into your specific request. It may be that others are already using a certain alloy within your 75-mile radius. I will be happy to send you samples of every token available.

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
Is anyone using Van Brooks/Osbornes ‘Time Saver’ salmon colored token? If so, can you post a picture of a used/older one? I’m just curious what these will look like after sitting in a damp vac safe for a month.

edredtop

Reaction score
Is anyone using Van Brooks/Osbornes ‘Time Saver’ salmon colored token? If so, can you post a picture of a used/older one? I’m just curious what these will look like after sitting in a damp vac safe for a month.
Don't sweat it.
After they start changing colors, pour them into a Thumler's Tumbler and they'll look like new again.
Here's an example: THUMBLERS TUMBLER ULTRA VIBE 18 | eBay

And an example of the media: Amazon.com : Frankford Arsenal 15 lb Bag of Corn Cob Media for Case Tumbling, Ammo Reloading and Shooting Bags, tan : Hunting Cleaning And Maintenance Products : Sports & Outdoors

Last edited:

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
We used to tumble our CTX tokens in a mini cement mixer with rice. Now we don’t worry about it. They’re just a dirty dingier gold that doesn’t shine and we’re fine with that.

I just wanted to see that the Salmon tokens simply become dull like I would expect and not some nasty looking coin.

edredtop

Reaction score
We used to tumble our CTX tokens in a mini cement mixer with rice. Now we don’t worry about it. They’re just a dirty dingier gold that doesn’t shine and we’re fine with that.

I just wanted to see that the Salmon tokens simply become dull like I would expect and not some nasty looking coin.
If you have the option on that version, nickel plating never looks bad, always shiny.