What's new

Dilling Harris Boom Parts

Crommel62

Reaction score
Ive got some old Dilling Harris Dual booms and I'm looking for the nut that fits on the bottom to hold the booms up. Anyone know the correct size/thread or where I can buy them?

Attachments

MEP001

Reaction score
It's a standard 1" coarse thread.

Twodose

Reaction score
I took those nuts off of one of those exact booms a couple years ago and they were really hard to get off, I would suggest lubing it with wd-40 or CRC 3-36 a couple days before you try it, it came off clean and went back on ok but I didn't think it was going to. Also there are seals in there that may need to be replaced, if you need to know the seal dimensions I have some laying around and could let you know, also if you need to replace the springs, the ones that kleen-rite sells will work with them, they are around $100.00 each. I bought the impact sockets in case I had to remove another, but I would try it by hand first, it is 1-5/16 socket.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-28814-spring-for-boom.aspx < boom spring

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000NPT6DE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Tekton impact socket.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
FWIW I've had the best luck with CRC "Knock 'er Loose" as a penetrating oil. Just don't get it in your eyes.

Even though the shaft is stainless steel, the nuts rust so bad I usually can't get them off even with an impact. I almost always have to cut the lower nut in three places and split it with a chisel. I replace them with stainless, they aren't very expensive unless you get them from Fastenal or McMaster-Carr. I paid less than $2 apiece last time from a local bolt supply.

Twodose

Reaction score
FWIW I've had the best luck with CRC "Knock 'er Loose" as a penetrating oil. Just don't get it in your eyes.

Even though the shaft is stainless steel, the nuts rust so bad I usually can't get them off even with an impact. I almost always have to cut the lower nut in three places and split it with a chisel. I replace them with stainless, they aren't very expensive unless you get them from Fastenal or McMaster-Carr. I paid less than $2 apiece last time from a local bolt supply.
where do you get them? Is is like a 1"-8 thread? I didn't have to replace the nuts. Even though they were difficult to get off, I thought it would destroy both nuts and the thread on the boom, but it didn't. I'm just saying for this guy to be careful taking the nuts off so you don't destroy the whole boom.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
IMG_20200708_235001195.jpg

This one is off a Coleman boom but it should be the same size. I can't tell for sure if it's 12 TPI or 14 so I guess it's not coarse, it measures 1/2" tall and I can count 6 full threads plus a bit, but I'm pretty sure it's not a full 7 threads in that 1/2" height. I got some at a local bolt place a few years ago. I take down and replace damaged booms all the time and almost always have to cut and split the bottom nut just to get it loose.