What's new

Differentiate between touchfree auto and tunnel wash for customers

DavidM

Reaction score
We have a tunnel car wash and a 5/1 next door to each other but with separate entrances. We want to place signs at each entrance but it seems that most standard industry terms are not clear to the customer.
We can use Touchfree Automatic and Self Service for the 5/1 but what do we put at the tunnel?

Anything I can think of is not clear enough to the consumer. (tunnel, flex service car wash, full service car wash, each of these has the potential to be misunderstood or not understood at all by the customer.)
What are other washes using?

David

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
I thinkTouchfree Automatic and Self Service is good for the 5/1.

I would use Full Service Car Wash for the other regardless of the format (flex, traditional full service,etc). I don' think the customers understand the formats that well but I think they usually know the term Full Service. Most probably will know by the buildings if they are clearly visible.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
The Everything Wash

I would use Full Service Car Wash for the other regardless of the format (flex, traditional full service,etc). I don' think the customers understand the formats that well but I think they usually know the term Full Service.
Although I can't argue with Ron's suggestion relating to full-service, it may not be your best alternative if you also offer a quick, no hassle exterior wash. When flex-serve was developed, I suggested TOTAL-SERVICE CARWASH as a more inclusive option. That includes outside-only (exterior) washing as well as all the hands-on stuff that is typically associated with traditional full-service washing aong with express detailing. In fact, some operators who have taken that advice say that it actually upgrades the service offerings.

I actually made the conscious decision to upgrade the description because so many people already have an established frame of reference for full-service. In many cases, if the customer has a negative feeling about their last full-service exposure, it could carry over and compromise your image. Plus, if your pricing isn't in line with their established frame of reference, that could also be a problem. Eliminate the potential downside by upgrading your title... and forming a fresh new approach.

TOTAL-SERVICE begs the question... but also suggests that it's an "everything wash"! Unlimited opportunities for the operator, too.

DavidM

Reaction score
I hesitate to use full service car wash because it has significant "baggage" for most people and I am not sure it is as understood by the consumer as we think it is. Plus, I agree with Steve, it may hide the fact that we also offer a quick, no hassle exterior wash

Soft touch or soft cloth may be an option but if we would add a soft touch in bay next to our touchless we would be right back where we are now. (we built with this possibility in mind)

"Total Service" may be a possibility, I'll keep playing with that one.

Thanks! Any other ideas?

David

beauman

Reaction score
How about "Exterior 2 minute conveyor" or "Express Exterior" or "Express Exterior Tunnel"
Your 5 and 1 should be noted as a "Touchless Automatic"