What's new

Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
On my shelf in my office sits a thin fadded paper back book from 1977, Dietrich Bonhoeffer's Prayer's from Prison. Last week Presedent Bush went to Israel to commemorate the formation of that Nation and it's 60th Birthday. While speeking to the Kineset, Bush mention the attrocities of the Nazi's and the dangers of "appeasers". Forget the politics of what he ment... refect for a moment on those people... like Bonhoeffer who durring the Sheol (Hewbrew word for Holecaust) took a stand and ultimately gave their life for thier convictions.

I got this little book from my mother (of 100% German decent) who used it when she was studying theology at St Joesphs College in Philly and later at the Episcopal diosies in Philly in the late 70 and early 80's. I forgot about it until our little debate on the other thread about myrdrdom and if "they really went willingly". Well there are plenty of eyewitness accounts to document the "willingness". Bonhoeffer was executed weeks before the concentration camps were liberated in 1945. He was hung by meat hooks through his chest and strangled with piano wire that took over 30 min to kill him as gallo's were in short supply across Germany! Witness said that he prayed quietly and did not resist.

http://www.religion-online.org/showchapter.asp?title=1570&C=1474

http://www.pbs.org/bonhoeffer/

Last edited:

pitzerwm

Reaction score
Through history there have been a lot of amazing people. If you watched Saving Private Ryan I don't think that you would deny many people more or less willing gave their lives so we could whine and moan about our daily problems.

A U.S. Navy Admiral was attending a naval conference that included Admirals from the U.S. , English, Canadian, Australian and French Navies. At a cocktail reception, he found himself standing with a large group of Officers that included personnel from most of those countries. Everyone was chatting away in English as they sipped their drinks but a French admiral suddenly complained that, 'where as Europeans learn many languages, Americans learn only English.' He then asked, 'Why is it that we always have to speak English in these conferences rather than speaking French?'

Without hesitating, the American Admiral replied 'Maybe it's because the Brits, Canadians, Aussies and Americans arranged it so you wouldn't have to speak German.'

You could have heard a pin drop.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Well Bill, Bonhoeffer learned early from a FRENCH MAN ( Jean Lasserre, author of WAR & THE GOSPEL) how to turn on Hitler. Maybe you should read the links. I don't know why conservitives instist on bringing up the French coward jokes all the time. In WWII they had no choice but to surender.... they were land locked and Mountians of Spain provide the only protection to the Spanish.

http://www.lutterworth.com/jamesclarke/jc/titles/wargosp.htm

pitzerwm

Reaction score
What gets me about the French is that we save their butts 2 times, and they are famous for hating Americans. Contrast that with Australia and how our relationship with them is, and Britain for that matter. I never said anything about them being cowards, I love it when you bitch if someone misquotes you, but you either misquote, or bring up something totally out of the "conversation". IMO if they didn't have Paris, not a lot of Americans would be going there as tourist.