What's new

detailing section is dead now

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
it stinks that the detailing section of acf is so dead.

do detailers know everything?

everyone :

1. charges properly
2. has c.o.g.s. all nailed down
3. uses air tools
4. clay bars all wax jobs
5. uses a d/a style buffer
6. has a tip line on credit card machine
7. disposes of grey water properly
8. keeps regular hours
9. has add-on profit centers
10. keeps employees with proper insurance
11. has safe materials handling training, safety meetings and msds book up to date and accessible

?????????????????????????

Washmee

Fullservice Tunnel
Reaction score
Waxman, I think this forum is still mostly populated by selfserve/IBA operators. I have a detail shop at my wash and I use ever single practice that you listed. This year has been my best revenue year ever but details are still just a very small portion of my overall revenue. Most of the detail shops in my area are mom and pop operations in closed gas stations and other 3rd tier locations. I doubt that they are looking to the internet for advice.

buda

Reaction score
The detailers go to "detail forums" quite regularly. For example, Autopia and Meguiars have excellent forums for detailers.

The ACF has always been a "car wash" forum, not a detailing forum.

You should be asking "why don't car wash operators with detail operations, or those considering adding detailing" get on the forum to ask questions of other operators. Do they know everything about detailing? Or anything about detailing for that matter.

We get calls all the time from operators indicating they want to add detailing to their car wash. My first question is:
"do you want to offer full service RESTORATION detailing (2 to 5 hours) or express MAINTENANCE detailing (30 minutes, or less).?"

A reply I often get is: "both."

"OK, how many bays do you have?"

Reply, "one."

Something is wrong here. What is it? Those operators obviously do not have an answer.

Regards