What's new

Detailing Biz:economy vs. weather?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't know about you other detailers, but my detail business has completely exploded this Spring. If there are negative effects of the economy on retail sales, and I believe there are, they are not evident at my detail shop.

I'm booked up solid with more and more customers dropping cars off to be cleaned whenever I can get to them. The trick this Spring has been satisfying peak demand and not becoming overworked (me and my staff).

Just wondering what others thoughts are about demand for detail services in the current state of the economy.

My carwash experienced a so-so Winter largely due to weather, I guess, because it seems demand for carwashing, with its lower price point, would be less succeptible to a sluggish economy than higher-priced detail services. If I apply this logic to the now-packed detail shop appointment book, the weather seems to have affected carwash sales more than the economy. Also of note, the weather the last couple weeks has been very good and that has boosted business, appointments, phone calls, and overall interest in the carwash and detail shop operations.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I am looking at opening a detail shop at my wash and was wondering if anyone had more insight to waxmans comments?

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
A good detail shop is not necessarily recession proof but an experienced one that does quality work can thrive due to people keeping their vehicles longer and wanting them to look good.

You need to consider the fact that Waxman has an established detail shop as opposed to a start up. Since he has been in business a while he can expect to get repeat business on top of new business and referrals. (Assuming he does good work which it appears that he does) As a start up shop you would have many obstacles to overcome (purchasing professional equipment, supplies, qualified detailers, etc).

If you are thinking about a shop for the long haul as opposed to short term look at is as a separate business venture and develop it as such. If not, I would think about more of a flex serv program for your wash that incorporates many of the basic services (interior cleaning, quick wax, etc) of a detail shop without getting into full details (compounding, wet sanding, restoration work, etc).

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
AfterCare Detailing Is A Smart Move

Detailing has always been a moneymaker. Always!:D

The key is adapting to the market conditions. Just like Waxman was seeking ways to boost his business in the winter months earlier this year, and again in the spring... it's all about marketing.:cool:

Once you have the skills to deliver express detailing, you can move towards a more sophisticated area of solving problem situations, both interior and exterior. Get certified by ICA in Express Detailing. It provides a marketing edge, when used properly. Consumers like stuff like that, even when seasoned detailers foo-foo the idea. Create every competitive edge you can!

I strongly suggest that you tie it in with your carwash operation, and provide an AfterCare platform that provides the needed flexibility to effectively serve your market as well as safeguard your profitability.;)

The flex-serve model anticipates the need to adapt to seasonal demands and provide a mix of light detail services that offer a rapid-delivery format... while also providing essentials like interior shampooing and odor control, clay-bar overspray removal, and just about anything else the marketplace values.

Providing a quick, no-hassle exterior carwash... and combining it with a variety of hands-on services makes your operation much more resilient to economic shifts.

(continued)

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
One thing that happens when the economy gets tight is... people take better care of their vehicles. As well, in this downsizing marketplace, many people are tying to optimize their resale capabilities that enable them to sell their existing gas-guzzler... and moving into a more efficient model. Detailing before putting an ad in the paper reaps hundreds... if not thousands just by improving the "eyeball" of the used car. And when it seems like everyone is trying to change their vehicles for something more economical, the best looking used ca with sell faster... and yield more profit.

Stand-alone detail operations do best when they also focus on offering a wash as a way of growing their detailing business.

Detailing, done right, is a robust profit builder.:)

-Steve

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Totally agree with all of this. This is a good thread. I think every carwash could benefit from a well-thought out detail program that includes as much service as the wash can provide.

My plan is still to implement express-type services as soon as I move into my new building (Soon!:)). Once I built my wash, it seemed to bring my whole operation up a big notch in terms of my customer appeal, perceived value of services and demand for services. It's hard to describe, but my place became much more of a real, attractive destination for customers. It was like we were a 'jr' business before(building the wash) and now that we offer ways to get a car clean ranging from $2 to over $200, we are a bona-fide, full-fledged business like the grocery store or hardware store. I'm certainly happy about the changes.:D

Danny

Reaction score
I agree with rph and the hardest part of his list of start ups is a qualified detailer. The equipment and chemicals is easy and can be refined over time. There are a lot of "detailers" out there but very few qualified detailers unless you are willing to train them. I am sure many will agree detailers have their preferences on technique and products and this can be difficult to change. Sadly most like what they learned with and that is all they will ever use, since they are most comfortable with it.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
This is a little off topic but Danny's response hit a nerve with me.

If you start a detail operation and allow the detailer to set up what products and techniques to use you are asking for trouble. Set up your own products and procedures either using your knowledge of the business or that of someone you feel knows the business. If you don't you are at their mercy. The system should be kept up to date and adhered to by anyone who does the work at your shop. If you allow a "qualified" detailer to set products and procedures you will be starting over if they leave or find yourself begging them to stay even if you would rather they go.

Danny

Reaction score
This is a little off topic but Danny's response hit a nerve with me.

If you start a detail operation and allow the detailer to set up what products and techniques to use you are asking for trouble. Set up your own products and procedures either using your knowledge of the business or that of someone you feel knows the business. If you don't you are at their mercy. The system should be kept up to date and adhered to by anyone who does the work at your shop. If you allow a "qualified" detailer to set products and procedures you will be starting over if they leave or find yourself begging them to stay even if you would rather they go.
Rph I agree with you. I have many customers at the mercy of the detailers. The owner or manager will buy products for them to use and it sits on the shelf and is met with complaints. In many cases the detailers will tell the owner or manager the products are not any good and they have NEVER even tried it to know. In some cases the owners are still learning the specifics of this industry and put misguided trust into their "experienced" detail staff for what to use.

I know of one customer, in an effort to control his situation, buys (type of product)1 claybar,1 compound, 1 polish, 1 glaze, 1 carn. paste wax, 1 express wax and 1 foam pad. He had products everywhere from what one detailer to the next liked to use. When they left he was left with the over stock product and nobody else would use it.

The sad thing is that these other products work but the detailers ONLY ever develop to one process and product. Essentially they learned the basics to survive and never developed passed that point. This is why I say "most detailers only like what they learned."

Many owners and managers lose track of the fact that they are incharge and own the business. The detailer is an employee and needs to adapt to their system if he/she cannot perform the job they were hired to do then they need to go.

smokun

Consultant - Rainmaker
Reaction score
Don't Let The Tail... Wag The Dog!

Too many owner/operators refuse to stay in charge of their operations. Whether lazy... complacent... or intimidated, I've seen too many owners allow the inmates to run the asylum. :p

Not a good idea!

Instead, I would suggest that management be hands-on in every area of the operation. If there is a detail component, the owner should have a working knowledge of how to do everything. That's the only way the owner will know if and when an employee is blowing smoke up his... shirttail or not. Once you subordinate critical decision making, you've pretty much abdicated your control. Not that you have to actually participate side-by-side of your staff (although it's a good idea once in a while), you must develop a feel for what the true needs of the business are, and what is FUBAR.:rolleyes:

Beware of the detailer who decides to become a mixologist, and blends his own stuff; a little bit of this, a little bit of that... and voila! Job Security. No magic. Simply bull---- that is supposed to make the owner feel that particular employee must has a real talent and his secrets are too valuable to let go. WRONG! Products companies spend a great deal of time and money making their products perform as good as can be. Allowing some wannabe mixologist set the tone for your buying is just plain wrong.:mad:

As an owner, YOU must provide the model of how you want things done. Your operation will take on the image that the lead dog demonstrates. And if you decide to allow someone else to be the lead dog, you will eventually regret it.

-Steve

Danny

Reaction score
Steve's comment on the "mixologist" couldn't be said better. If a chemical manufacturer thought that a formula was a good idea they would make it! In most cases there is a very good reason they are not mixed/formulated that way. In many cases the mad scientist's creations lead to chemical reactions or that may damage the painted surfaces in an effort to cut steps. It can also lead to just plain wasted product and that is wasted $$$.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
True enough, Steve. I've always worked side by side with my staff. Not 8 hrs./day but enough to maintain control over procedures, quality and inventory levels.

I think there's no real way to do it besides that; having management very involved with operations.

I train detailers, choose products, demo new products, develop procedures plus do many clerical duties, clean the place, etc. I think the way to run a great detail center is the same as running a great carwash; being as hands on as possible yourself or having management who are very hands on.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info! I don't think I will be starting a detail shop this summer, but I am definitely toying with the idea. I currently have eight bays at my ss. I hate to say it, but I definitely don't need eight bays at this point. I could easily put some roll up doors on a bay and offer some express detailing services. I will definitely be lurking in the background =)